• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The cast iron thread

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wash mine gently with soap and water. Dry with paper towel. If i know ill be cooking with one again the next day and theres no real food residue, like after making home fries, i’ll just leave it on the stove and maybe wipe it quick with a paper towel.

Picked up a 9” no-name pan at a thrift store the other day for $5. Looked like it may have only been used once or twice. Bottom is nice and flat. So that one will get used at home on the induction cooktop. “Old faithful” with the warped bottom will be on permanent camping duty.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I use my skillet only for camping so it doesn't get used alot. When I'm done with it I wash it in whatever creek, river, or lake I'm near then dry it and put it away. When I pull it out again it usually has rust so I just brush that off and start cooking.

If I want to "season" it, after wire brushing it down to clean metal what are the steps for doing the oil & heating to make them than nice black shiny color? I also have a big cast iron pot I do use quite often to make soups that's never been "seasoned" either. But since the pot gets used alot it never really rusts.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Get it clean

Wipe it down with vegetable oil like Crisco

Stick it upside down in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour

Let it cool

I put a cookie sheet under it in the oven to catch any excess that might drip

I did my new one twice the other day. First time with peanut oil because i didn’t have any Crisco

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sounds easy enough... I think I'll do it tonight.

It better not change the flavor of my chowdah!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Once you've got a good seasoning on it, you can just give it a quick wipe down after cooking with it. When it's clean, coat it with a bit of oil and turn on the eye for a few minutes until the oil just starts to smoke, then cut it back off. I keep a paper towel soaked in oil next to the stove for this purpose. One towel seems to last a good month before getting torn up. Just add a few drops of oil to it occasionally as needed.

A cleaning brush can be very helpful. I've used the Lodge brush for years now and it works well, but I'm sure there are plenty of good alternatives.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Brush-Ergonomic-Design-Bristles/dp/B00G0T3CE6/

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I use one of two cleaning methods -

If I'm cooking with grease, oil, butter, etc I will use only a stainless steel scrubber while the pan is still hot to break up anything that's stuck on. Wipe out with paper towel, really wipe at it until you just have a thin layer of oil left and you're done. Think bacon, eggs, pancakes, fish, etc. The stainless scrubber is also real handy for those "grill pans" and anything that doesn't have a flat bottom...you can get the baked on crap out quick.

If I'm doing something more like baking in the pan - I have some pasta dishes and stuff that I will bake in a skillet - I wash them with soap and water like any other cooking utinsel and then heat up on the stove and rub on a very light coat of oil with a rag.

That's all that's required, my cast iron is about as non stick as it gets. I've cooked on other people's cast iron pans that look like my yard sale/thrift store finds - "seasoned" supposedly - and they are not any more non-stick than mine are and they look fawking gross. I don't know how people let them get that bad but I guess not everyone can do the angle grinder treatment on them either like I do.

I have a Mainstays #2, a Ozark Trail #5 (both Walmart Chinesium) and a Lodge flat iron (circular) from Meijer (made in the USA) I really love the cast iron for its cooking properties. these three are all in the kitchen and the wife and I use them daily. We have an autistic son and certain things in his diet will increase the issues that he has. teflon is one of the big ones. and as almost all of our pans were well over 15 years old and the teflon was getting sketchy, we tossed them and bought the cast iron ones as a replacement. and the stainless steel lids of the old teflon pans fit perfectly on the cast iron if we need lids.

From Paul Wheaton in the Permaculture fame: You can make cast iron non stick, but you cannot make teflon non poisonous.

Looking at your post on reviving cast iron, I will keep an eye out at garage sales and what not... I love the idea of seasoning them in the gas grill. when I reseason ours, I usually use the oven and both the wife and son are very sensitive to smells...

AJ
Man you need to find yourself an old skillet, anything made before the 1960 or so with a nice smooth bottom. They cook soooooo nice, the cooking surface starts to look like a sheet of glass.

That said, contrary to popular belief, I don't think the rough surface is as bad as it's made out to be. It will fill in with carbon as you use it and become smooth. Even really digging into it with the wire wheel/grinder tactic won't budge much of it... it gets to be permanent. My old Lodge griddle was pretty rough and nothing sticks to it.

The gas grill seasoning tactic works so good. No smoke in the house, no burnt smell, just nice seasoned cookware when you're done. Make sure you brush the grates off before you do it though or your hamburger grease will migrate upwards onto your pans.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I saw a pan in one thrift store the other day and didn’t pick it up. It was painted yellow on the outside and had grill bars molded into the bottom. No mfr name. Cant figure out if i want it or not. It was cheap. But why would i want those ribs in the bottom? Later saw similar pans by Le Crueset for about $100 on Google. Any of you find that useful? Should i go back and get it?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I do not have one and probably never will have one. They are an adequate substitute for a BBQ grill, they do have a purpose for cooking hamburgers and stuff so that the patty doesn't stick to the bottom and the grease stays away from the food and in effect doesn't fry it. I think they're a pain in the ass to clean and very messy unless you have one with a lid. I'd use the BBQ grill ANY day over one of those, including the snowing and -32 days...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That said, contrary to popular belief, I don't think the rough surface is as bad as it's made out to be. It will fill in with carbon as you use it and become smooth. Even really digging into it with the wire wheel/grinder tactic won't budge much of it... it gets to be permanent. My old Lodge griddle was pretty rough and nothing sticks to it.
Too late.... Wiz wheel and a couple brown Roloc discs and she’s smooth. I wasn’t going for perfect, I just wanted to get rid of the 36 grit texture.
I’ll update with pics after dinner.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
After seasoning the piece, I rarely need to re-season it. It only sees water for cleaning and a spatula or appropriately shaped metal object to scrape any stuck food. The same goes with my camping gear.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I hadn't seriously considered sanding any of mine. They work fine as they are.

Concerning non-stick properties, I have found that after cooking bacon, sausage or country ham, the eggs will stick unless I scrape it clean with the spatula and add a bit of vegetable oil to the pan. I dont know if the animal fats are the problem or just the sticky residue from those particular meats.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I hadn't seriously considered sanding any of mine. They work fine as they are.
Do you have any $9.88 Lodge cast iron pans from Walmart? 36 grit isn’t exaggerating.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Mainly seems to be residue. If the pan hasn’t been broken in and the surface is still rough, that will contribute as well. That will smooth out in time if you use metal utensils. The iron scrapings are also good for your health. Iron is good for the body.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do you have any $9.88 Lodge cast iron pans from Walmart? 36 grit isn’t exaggerating.
I’ve found most cast iron to be pretty rough when new for sure. The smoothest pan I have is probably 100 years old. The camp griddle comes in a close second.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Mainly seems to be residue. If the pan hasn’t been broken in and the surface is still rough, that will contribute as well. That will smooth out in time if you use metal utensils. The iron scrapings are also good for your health. Iron is good for the body.
I consider this just speeding up the break in process. I mostly just knocked down the gritty roughness on the 2 of them. They still have that “cast iron” texture. I only used a surfacing cookie... not a sanding disc.
I’ll scrub them and season them tonight when I get home from work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals