• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not Exactly What I Was Looking For (better)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Your truck is really looking good. Yes, it is a labor of love, but I'd much rather work on older stuff than newer. I just look at it as "embracing the suck". Good luck!

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Just to give everyone an idea of the cosmetic stuff I'm working on these last few days. This is just sanded and covered with primer.
View attachment 43688
I'm not any kind of painter, but I'm being careful as possible.View attachment 43692
When this picture was taken, I hadn't applied all the coats of paint or enamel clear gloss top coat yet, but I couldn't wait to get an idea of how things were going to look when I finally get it all put back together.View attachment 43694
Anybody know a good way to polish up this Chrome insert?

What's the deal with that little blue car tho..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
"Automatic transmissions don't deserve names, other than 'boat anchor." -- PetroleumJunkie412
Your truck is really looking good. Yes, it is a labor of love, but I'd much rather work on older stuff than newer. I just look at as "embracing the suck". Good luck!
Might as well laugh rather than cry...
Ford Vacuum.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I do believe, that I've been had.

I wouldn't mind having a vacuum cleaner like that, though. As long as it doesn't have an A4LD.

And like @Blmpkn , I'm curious about that lil' blue car, too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
"Automatic transmissions don't deserve names, other than 'boat anchor." -- PetroleumJunkie412
What's the deal with that little blue car tho..
Blue Car.jpg

Oh, you noticed that? That's my daily driver.

Just Kidding.
I think everybody here knows what it's like to have too many projects.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Oh, you noticed that? That's my daily driver.
How cool is that! Ever since I was a wee lad, I've wanted to be a Shriner clown, too. Can you hook me up? :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
How cool is that! Ever since I was a wee lad, I've wanted to be a Shriner clown, too. Can you hook me up? :icon_thumby:
No man, you're way off...
You gotta be a 32° Mason to hang out with those Shriner clowns.

Truth is, Several years back, I was in desperate need of transportation, and I found one of those notices in
the newspaper like you see below:

Novena St. Jude.jpg

I followed the instructions explicitly, and late in the evening on the 9th day, that blue thing showed up in my garage. Since then, I've written several strongly worded letters to Pope Francis. The case at the Vatican is still pending, so I don't want to dispute the veracity of their claims about this "Prayer to St. Jude thing," but I will say this:
You may not want to use it if you're praying for a car.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
Your truck is really looking good. Yes, it is a labor of love, but I'd much rather work on older stuff than newer. I just look at it as "embracing the suck". Good luck!

Before.jpg

Just a couple pictures to show progress. I had neglected to put up before and after pics of the tailgate and bumper.

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
That's awesome. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.
Too bad you live roughly 1,000 miles away.
I could use some help on that project.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
That's a great looking Ranger, nice find. A few little quirks here and there of course but dang that thing looks to be in very good condition aside from someone's terrible bumper and tailgate taste. Those wheels ehh not a fan, but its not my truck. Finding a 30+ year old truck in that condition is a win, and being a manual transmission is a huge plus, the A4LD can be a problem child if it hasn't been properly cared for and/or abused.

You are right, you didn't find what you were after, although for the $800 price tag you were searching for I found my 87 Ranger Custom 4x2...a few little quirks with it too, but slowly getting things taken care of. I love my little pickup, fun to drive, yes it is, even for being a 4x2, I have my Bronco 2 and my Jeep if I need/want 4WD. I got this truck for a work truck so no need for the 4WD.

My first vehicle was an 84 Ford Ranger my junior year of high school. Worked all summer to buy it from my grandparents. Loved that truck, still miss it today, although recently found its still alive, no idea about condition its not registered as its a farm vehicle in California, but was just happy to find that its still being used.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/70 R16
My credo
That's a great looking Ranger, nice find. A few little quirks here and there of course but dang that thing looks to be in very good condition aside from someone's terrible bumper and tailgate taste. Those wheels ehh not a fan, but its not my truck. Finding a 30+ year old truck in that condition is a win, and being a manual transmission is a huge plus, the A4LD can be a problem child if it hasn't been properly cared for and/or abused.

You are right, you didn't find what you were after, although for the $800 price tag you were searching for I found my 87 Ranger Custom 4x2...a few little quirks with it too, but slowly getting things taken care of. I love my little pickup, fun to drive, yes it is, even for being a 4x2, I have my Bronco 2 and my Jeep if I need/want 4WD. I got this truck for a work truck so no need for the 4WD.

My first vehicle was an 84 Ford Ranger my junior year of high school. Worked all summer to buy it from my grandparents. Loved that truck, still miss it today, although recently found its still alive, no idea about condition its not registered as its a farm vehicle in California, but was just happy to find that its still being used.
I'm just okay with the wheels so far, but I've been looking around. If I found somebody willing to trade me for some used period correct looking American Racing wheels (chrome,) or could sell these black ones for enough to buy a set of decent knock-offs, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Your first truck story is a good one. One of my (3) employers loaned me his '84 Ranger to drive when I was in my junior year of high school, and that was my first experience with these trucks. The first truck I bought for myself at 19 was a 1981 Ford Courier. Of course, it was the most basic tin can ever, but I drove that thing everywhere as fast as the speedometer could calculate... I searched everywhere for one just like it, (including the Mazda version) to restore. It seems the "mini-truckers" snagged them to chop and lower them, so I eventually gave up and started hunting for a solid Ranger instead. I'm glad I found one in such good condition, and in need of very little restoration.

Why is it that so many of us have such an affinity for that first car or truck, even if nobody else thought it was cool?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals