• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poorly running 89 2.9

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yes it is in fact a factory 2.9 v6 i was just mentioning i had other engines to swap but no time for it.
Ill take a look and see what the pressure is. Curious if it could be the regulator restricting flow untill vac gets high enough to force it open?
Also anyone know of a smoker kit to check for leaks? Would be super cool if i could rent one
Even with the vacuum hose completly unhooked it just pushes 42psi or so.

I think fuel delivery is just a symptom of something else. Take some ether and spray around the upper intake bolts...while the motors running.

If it revvs up then you got a leak in the gaskets.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I think im gonna build thisand see what i come up with.
. Homemade smoke machine

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I disagree on the vacuum leak being the primary cause. When you are sucking that much air through the engine and the throttle is wide open, a little vacuum leak from a hose being off or cracked is not going to figure into the picture. Compared to all the air flowing through the throttle blade, it's just too small to affect it. Now at idle when there is very little air going through the throttle body, then a vacuum leak will cause a big problem, usually a higher than normal idle on these engines.

It could be breaking up because of ignition problems also, but you have to start somewhere and figure what is good and what is bad.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
I disagree on the vacuum leak being the primary cause. When you are sucking that much air through the engine and the throttle is wide open, a little vacuum leak from a hose being off or cracked is not going to figure into the picture. Compared to all the air flowing through the throttle blade, it's just too small to affect it. Now at idle when there is very little air going through the throttle body, then a vacuum leak will cause a big problem, usually a higher than normal idle on these engines.

It could be breaking up because of ignition problems also, but you have to start somewhere and figure what is good and what is bad.
Its got poor idle quality, if you give it a quick rev it'll jump to like 2k rpm then take 5-10 sec to drop again. It'll free rev easy but its when you load it. Like if you try to maintain 35 mph it'll stumble and cough until u stand on it then it'll pause for a sec then come alive and take off.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Its got poor idle quality, if you give it a quick rev it'll jump to like 2k rpm then take 5-10 sec to drop again. It'll free rev easy but its when you load it. Like if you try to maintain 35 mph it'll stumble and cough until u stand on it then it'll pause for a sec then come alive and take off.
Well if it coughs and stumbles and then comes alive and runs like gangbusters from the then on out, then it will not be a fuel delivery problem. Your fuel demand is the highest when the engine is at full load, high rpms. If it will do that for as long as you hold the throttle down, you are ok with both fuel pumps, and the filters and fuel system.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Well if it coughs and stumbles and then comes alive and runs like gangbusters from the then on out, then it will not be a fuel delivery problem. Your fuel demand is the highest when the engine is at full load, high rpms. If it will do that for as long as you hold the throttle down, you are ok with both fuel pumps, and the filters and fuel system.
Yes that is exactly correct.
It also will rev quickly like if you just tap the gas it will come up quick but take a min to come back down. It will also stick the throttle to 3k rpm till you shut it off and restart it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You check TPS voltages?

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
You check TPS voltages?
Nope didnt know that was a thing. I'm at work right now. How would I go about doing that. Would an analoge voltmeter be best or can I get away with just a digital one?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Nope didnt know that was a thing. I'm at work right now. How would I go about doing that. Would an analoge voltmeter be best or can I get away with just a digital one?
Analog is best. Find the wiring diagram, then you check the wire running to the ecm for a smooth increse in voltage (as you move throttle by hand) from just under 1v (throttle closed) up to around 5v (WOT).

It maybe injectors....but id check other things first.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Analog is best. Find the wiring diagram, then you check the wire running to the ecm for a smooth increse in voltage (as you move throttle by hand) from just under 1v (throttle closed) up to around 5v (WOT).

It maybe injectors....but id check other things first.
Alright I'll have to look around for that then. And see about getting a analog meter

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Letting them sit for a while is bad due to the ethanol in the gas. I let mine sit for a while (rarely driven) when I had a company vehicle. It took me a long time to figure out that the injectors were clogged up. It would run somewhat okay until it warmed up. Then the bucking/stumbling would start. I now run Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner in it since installing new injectors. No problems for more than a year now.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Letting them sit for a while is bad due to the ethanol in the gas. I let mine sit for a while (rarely driven) when I had a company vehicle. It took me a long time to figure out that the injectors were clogged up. It would run somewhat okay until it warmed up. Then the bucking/stumbling would start. I now run Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner in it since installing new injectors. No problems for more than a year now.
Makes sense because the last few years this b2 spent more time sitting than driving. When I got it my dad left it sit for a year or two. But I really hope your wrong because I am not trying to spent another 200$ on this oil slobberin thing ha ha but...if I do actually get to the motor swap at some point I'll sell the new injectors to you good buddy and get some $ back ha ha!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I will tell you here lately I am a big believer in that sea foam stuff. I have had several small engines that would not half run because of the old ethanol fuel messing the carbs up. I pour the sea foam in the tank, about 50-50 and IF THEY ARE RUNNING, it will slowly clean them out. They are usually running like new after about 20 minutes. I bet that stuff would unclog any fuel system if you could get it in there strong. Letting the fuel tank get low and pouring a whole can in there would probably break anything up in the fuel system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals