• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OEM Tailgate vs Aftermarket

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a $200 aftermarket tailgate for my ranger and I accidentally put a dent in it from stepping on it. I looked closer and realized that I could flex the tailgate just by pushing very little on it. I don't remember the OEM tailgates being that weak, so is there something I can do to increase the strength of the aftermarket tailgate? Maybe foam or something?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
don't put foam in it, it'll hold water and make it rot out even faster than it will (it will rot out much faster than an OEM gate) Theres really nothing you can do short of cutting it open and welding braces to the inside.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen trucks that have diamond tread aluminum on the inside and across the top of the tailgate, that might make it strong enough to at least walk on.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a $200 aftermarket tailgate for my ranger and I accidentally put a dent in it from stepping on it. I looked closer and realized that I could flex the tailgate just by pushing very little on it. I don't remember the OEM tailgates being that weak, so is there something I can do to increase the strength of the aftermarket tailgate? Maybe foam or something?
You talking about expanding foam insulation?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
z-man made a good point about rust.make sure you use plenty of undercoating in all the nooks and crannies of the inside of the tailgate,use a red wd-40 straw to get everywhere.i'm assuming the dent is on the outside of the tailgate.once the gate is on you'll have a hard time stepping there.the inside should be stonger,don't worry about denting it with feet just try not to drop loads on the tailgate and bow it out as it is weaker.you could put a big plate over the inside with plenty of machine screws to toughn it up.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
But why is the OEM tailgate stronger than an aftermarket tailgate? Is thicker steel used or what?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably both thicker and higher quality steel.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Probably both thicker and higher quality steel.
You got it. WHere's that aftermarket made, China or Taiwan or? My stocker is bowed out in the middle from years of walking on it, hauling bricks etc. They are already kinda weak, hate to see the aftermarket gates. Your best bet is to use big pop rivets and put a thick metal plate on the inside....one that wraps over the top edge would really help even more.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the tailgate on my old ranger due to rust issues when i was in college. Couldn't afford the OEM one, so I went "aftermarket". It's not a bad fit, but you can tell it's thinner steel. I wish I would have saved for the OEM...

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarkets are definately thinner steel. Everybody is right, there is nothing you can do to make it stronger. Even drilling holes on the inside and adding a plate is going to make it rust out quicker, the plate itself is going to trap moisture, and it will also start rusting out around the holes. Your best bet, if you can't afford oem is to get a junkyard one orone from someone parting out a rig.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarkets are definately thinner steel. Everybody is right, there is nothing you can do to make it stronger. Even drilling holes on the inside and adding a plate is going to make it rust out quicker, the plate itself is going to trap moisture, and it will also start rusting out around the holes. Your best bet, if you can't afford oem is to get a junkyard one orone from someone parting out a rig.
You might as well run the one you have though, you shelled out $200 for it. Keep an eye out for a straight OEM gate and if your aftermarket one gets too ugly to look at just swap them. A quick way to tell OEM from aftermarket is the OEM ones have F O R D stamped in them, the aftermarket just have the square stamped that the letters would go on.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking about fabricating a "frame" out of 1'' square tubing with the proper triangle support and epoxy it to the inside of the tailgate. It should support more than enough weight without anymore denting. The inside is also raptor lined so epoxy seems to be the better solution rather than welding or bolting.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your going to go to that trouble don't epoxy it, tack weld it

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
theres always 1st and 2nd gen rangers in my local wrecking yards with the tail gates.rust free as Im from san diego....if any of you guys need/want one let me know and I can see what I can do...think they are 50 bucks.

sparkdic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarket Panels in general are thinner metal and made with alot lower quality all around. The aftermarket companys buy up the used stamps from ford and sometimes even other companys after they are too worn down to produce the quality products. They use cheaper steel and also primers ( which is why they rust much faster). If u want a replacement panel that is going to last with minimal work your best off getting a nice shape used gate because it has all the factory coatings already on it on top of the fact that it will fit much better. Although a lil extra work and money spent on the aftermarket panel will help it last as well. First thing, anywhere u can find a hole to get inside the gate, spray lots of undercoating to help seal up the inside, do this before it gets any kind of water inside it. Next off, use a decent epoxy primer on the outside of the gate before u prime it with anything else or paint it, this will help compensate for the piss-poor "e-coating" they apply at the factory. As far as extra support for loading and unloading well, reinforcing is the best option, if u drill holes for screws use some paint to coat the hole to try and put some protection back on. Hope any of this helps ya

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals