4.0L SOHC Priming switch installation?


Featured Build Threads

Fridge

Forum Member

Joined
Jan 8, 2026
Messages
15
Points
101
City
N/A
State - Country
PE - CAN
Other
1968 Charger, 2005 Camry
Vehicle Year
2001
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
4WD
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
245/75/16
Hey folks.

Seeing if there would be a way to install a switch or button to purely crank the engine to prime oil system. I know it's possible to do 'clear flood start', foot to floor and crank. But I've had times where if my foot isn't exactly all the way down it'll rev up right after starting. I just did my chains and guides and would like to not dry start it so much during the winter. Would there be a way to wire it up to the CFS system? Any help appreciated.
 
I guess you could add a pushbutton that just activates the starter relay. Setup correctly it would work without the key in the switch. No idea if that would cause any problems with anti-theft though.
 
I guess you could add a pushbutton that just activates the starter relay. Setup correctly it would work without the key in the switch. No idea if that would cause any problems with anti-theft though.
I'm unsure about the anti-theft in it.. Any time I scan for codes the PATS system is gray (no response), but the "THEFT" light blinks slow with key in engine off.
 
Might be able to test the theory with a jumper wire from battery to the small starter relay terminal. If the alarm does go off you should be able to clear it by starting with the key...
 
Hmm, okay. I'll experiment some, thanks for info!
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top