dreaded 2k growl


Featured Build Threads

pjtoledo

15+ Year Member

⭐Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Messages
7,344
Points
3,101
City
Toledo Ohio
Vehicle Year
20002005199
well, it sounds like it should be a dreaded sound.
2005 2.3 manual.
while accelerating in 1-2-3 right at 1900-2000 the tranny emits a nasty growl like the gears are rattling.
goes away after 2 seconds, barely noticeable in 4th, not there in 5th.

383,000 miles on the original tranny, about 200,000 on this clutch, TB, and fluid.
hmmm, I wonder what could possibly be worn out?:dntknw:

I do have a spare tranny, but it's "down in the basement"
 
I do have a spare tranny, but it's "down in the basement"
Don't you have a "handy-dandy basement steps ramp 2000" to make that job easy?
 
Sounds like counter shaft bearings to me... they're not hard to rebuild and the kits are cheap but still takes downtime...
 
Don't you have a "handy-dandy basement steps ramp 2000" to make that job easy?
that was dismantled, straddling it was getting a bit tedious. laundry is down there, wiffie was not happy.
using a slightly modified appliance dolly for stuff under 100 lbs.
still have the 1500 lb 12v winch, a boat dock crank, come-a-long, and an 8-1 light block 'n tackle for medium stuff.
set it on a plush carpet sled to protect the wooden steps.

the problem with the tranny is I have to find it in my 41 year "stash-of-too-much-stuff"
 
Sounds like counter shaft bearings to me... they're not hard to rebuild and the kits are cheap but still takes downtime...
the worst part is I have to clear out some protected work space.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top