• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10ft wire whip overkill for a cb?

camoman5392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, my dad had a big whip antenna sitting out in the garage, so i went ahead and mounted it on the pass. side of the rear bumper. now im reading that's a poor mounting location, but with this big of antenna i dont wanna mount it to the cab or top of the bed. i already drag it across the mcdonalds drive thru, and trim the roadside trees with it lol. will it be ok where it is? i plan on ordering the uniden cb from radio shack with this pay or the next

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure about the location, but I suggest you stop driving through drive thru's with it... You should find a way to be able to tie it down at the front of the bed, that way all you gotta do is bend it to the front, clip it down, and you won't hit it on the signs anymore.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that location will be as good as any other with that antenna. just keep in mind that your greatest transmit and receive range will be toward the opposite (driver's side front corner) corner of your truck. it follows where the most sheet metal is on your truck. hope there was a spring on it when you mounted it up. if not, you should get a big, heavy duty one for it. lastly, it is NOT the preferred antenna for trail riding, obviously. but have fun with it anyway!

camoman5392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ya i think i might get a 2 or 3 foot fiberglass antenna n put it on the fender like a couple other people on here have done when i can. the 10ft antenna with the rubber chicken on the bottom to keep it from hittin the bed makes my truck stick out bad. thats not always a good thing with how i drive lol

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely tie it down. I forgot about it one night and took out three rows of fluorescent lights in a parking garage.

The security guard was far from impressed.:icon_rofl:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It should be 8½ feet (102"), not 10 feet (120"). 10 feet would be too long to transmit properly.

Agreed, a full-length whip is the best antenna if you're using a bumper mount. However if you center mount the antenna, a shorter one should still be fine.
I run a 5' Francis on the roof of my BII (IIRC, called a "Hot Rod"). Works excellent.

93_RangerSC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4junkie is right it should be a 8.5 ft not a 10 ft even tho they do make those they dont work out to good. an ideal location would be if you have a toolbox mount it to the front dead center because that almost the dead center of your whole truck

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also... you want at least 2/3 of the antenna above the roof line... the idea place for the antenna is on the roof, but you would definitely need a shorter antenna for that application.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They make dual antenna adapters so you could run the big long range whip and a 2-3 footer. But I have heard mixed reviews about dual antennas, If youhave your radio peaked and tuned then you shouldnt have any problems with that big antenna. Just run a piece of rope to the opposite side of the bed for a tie down when you need to run lowhangin stuff.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need at least 9ft of space between dual antennas for a good setup to be completed, the only reason semi's can run dual antennas is so the signals can get around the sides of the tall trailers and trucks, though most run single antennas and just live with it.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah true but if he ran a shortie on the front driver side of the truck and the whip on the right rear it would give him more than 9 ft of space. Let him keep his badass whip and still have decent reception and tuning LOL. Otherwise send me the whip and Ill suffer through it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
So his signal pattern will run at a 45° to his truck? :icon_confused:

Dual co-phased antennas are primarily used by OTR haulers to beam their signal primarily along the highway to the front & rear of the truck where others they communicate with are located (leaving less signal to the sides). Unless you want to talk only in front of and behind you (and have the proper spacing available to correctly install dual antennas), a single antenna having an omnidirectional pattern will always be the better option.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4ft on my roof and I talk to people miles and miles away

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4 ft also and do just fine i was just htinkin of how he could keep his whip. he seems to like it. as far as the junkies idea, he should still get the standard signal pattern, its just that his increased patternf rom the extra antenna would be oblong. But it was more a fun idea than anything practical. Im still learning too tho. so my suggestions wont always make sense.

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
Go Big Or Go Home

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals