• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running CB with Marine Radio in same truck

spitse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0-4.0 swap
Transmission
Automatic
Is anyone running a CB with a Marine Radio (VHF?) in the same rig? Asking because planning to do some hunting/fishing this fall and the guys I am going with are running with handheld Marines. Also my buddy is getting a boat and we were wanting to have a "Base" to call into with trouble on the water. The wifes want to stay in camp.

What are some issues doing this?

Thanks

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is illegal to operate a marine radio on land. This includes operating your marine radio, in your boat, while it is on your trailer. Goes for handhelds too.

Also, in some states, it is illegal to HUNT with a radio, including spotting and chasing. If used for safety reasons, thats a different story.

The coast guard heavily monitors the marine bands, unlike the CB bands which almost no one monitors unless they get complaints.

I used to work in the radio field, and there are actually groups of old retired engineers that drive around and locate "illegal operation" and then report it to the FCC, so yes, people DO get busted.

spitse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0-4.0 swap
Transmission
Automatic
Choptop84, I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I was not asking about the law, just interference between the two. I have not seen very many Coast Guards here in Oklahoma. Lake Patrol maybe, but not Coast Guard. I know that is illegal to use, but so is speeding, cheating on your taxes as well as boosting your CB.
On a side note, what good is a Radio on your boat if you can not speak to anyone on land. All I have read was "get a Marine for your boat so you can call for help or communicate with other boaters and marinas, don't trust a Cell Phone". If I need my wife to meet me at another ramp, I need to get the info to her somehow, as well as telling her I may not make it for supper or I need fuel. Kinda like a scanner in Oklahoma. You can have one and you can listen to one, but you can not use it to aid in illegal activity or interfere with Public Safety.
Some of the locations we were thinking of going, Hand Held CBs are worthless. 300 Yards and don't even think about Cell Phones or Walkie Talkies. When you get into the Mountains, you need something that can go further without line of site. The use is for safety.
There are people around here that go Coyote hunting and Yes they Spot and Chase, dropping Dogs to get the Coyote, then spend an Hour trying to find the Dogs. You can use motor vehicles to track your dogs in the "act of hunting". As for Coyote Hunting in Oklahoma, no restrictions except for the use of artificial Light or sight dog. Hounds are fine.
Maybe I should have asked the question like this "If I have a CB and happen to have a marine hand held that was accidentally left on, will it cause interference?" or "I have a boat with a CB, I Like it so I can communicate with my Family, but if I run into Trouble, I am told to have a Marine radio on my boat. Will the two radios work properly on the Boat at the same time?"
Again this is not a question of law and who will come get me if I am breaking the law, this is a question about interference.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You may want to check out this forum: http://www.cbradiotalk.com/index.php

And as for the legalities, I'm sorry, but who cares? Better to have it when you need it than to need it and not have it...

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Two completely different frequency bands. CB is HF 11 meter (26-27mhz) and Marine is VHF 2 meter (mid to high 150 mhz range).

As long as you use quality coax to your antennas, and they are clean rigs (no hillbilly mods to the internals), then neither radio should interfere with the other. You should be able to operate/Rx/Tx with both rigs at the same time. Two seperate antennas, two seperate mics, two seperate coax feeds.

Do be careful with the newer marine radios tho, some of them have built in identifiers that transmit radio information and/or location every time you key up. They wont have to go looking for you, because you'll be telling them where your at.

For what its worth, a properly tuned CB radio will outperform a marine radio watt for watt in a distance contest. Cb signals can bend around objects and hills better than a marine radio can. The marine radio wins purely on the fact that fewer ppl have them, the rules about marine use are MUCH more heavily enforced, and so the channels are cleaner, less interference, and marine radios can use up to 25 watts, versus a CB with only 4 watts.

spitse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0-4.0 swap
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks ChopTop84. I was thinking that about the frequencies, but was not for sure. As for the distance, I did not know that. All the boat people say stay away from the CB, all you will get are truckers. My experience that is not all bad. Most Truckers are willing to help if needed. People just think they are mean because of the size of the rig and that one bad egg they met somewhere.
I know here on the Lake I have a better chance getting help from my friends mainland that the Lake Patrol. They are being cut back and go for the Sneaky Attack for patrol as opposed to Being Seen.

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No problem, didnt mean to come across as an ass (although, sometimes I really do mean too!) on my first reply.

But yes, your right about the CB. Most ppl dont like it because it is the toilet bowl of the RF spectrum. If your CB radio (and friends) have the Single Side Band (SSB) option, it allows you even more power, and very few ppl know how to operate in SSB mode, so its actually a pretty decent way to talk. I've managed over 100 miles line of sight between two CB radios. Both had antennas up in trees. My best base to mobile is about 75 miles line of sight. Handheld CB's just suck tho, they dont have the power, or the antenna for decent range.

I should clarify, since I re-read your first post, ship to shore communications (boat to base) is legal. So out fishing, and want to radio back to camp your coming home and have the beer ready is perfectly fine. But two land based marine radios talking about that herd of elk coming around xxxx mountain...well...you prolly wont get caught, but it is frowned on.

As for lake patrol...well, they are more interested in busting you than helping you. They gotta make their money somehow!

spitse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0-4.0 swap
Transmission
Automatic
No Problem ChopTop84, you have a wealth on Knowleage in this area that I do not. I do appreciate you sharing.
I find it hard to get the full context of straight text. I am a person who likes to have my "toung firmly planted in my Cheak". That is hard to place into words without proper inflection and pause. Then I read something and I wonder if I take it literally or with a "grain of salt".
I hope you allow me to "pick your brain" in the future (you know, ask questions, not actually use a blunt object to poke around).

Loudest-99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 (Deep-Rumbler)
Transmission
Manual
spitse... where you from in Oklahoma? i Live in Lawton, OK and we use the same concept. we got a boat and whenever we take the girls with us. some of them want to stay behind. and we keep a marine radio in my truck and one on boat.

spitse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0-4.0 swap
Transmission
Automatic
Live East of Tulsa about 30 miles in "Green Country". We live 15 min from the lake, but I as of yet do not have a boat. I have the Camper!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals