• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mobile Ham Radio Antenna

Tbmitchell

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Go Big Or Go Home
Transmission
Automatic
hi im new to ham radio just got a used but good yaesu ft7800 im lookin to find a decent mobile magnet mount antenna what are some affordable to start with thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Magnet mount? you want a magnet mount?

Ok, let me tell you something I knew years ago that my close friends who got licensed first needed to learn....

That the problem with a magnet mount is that it leaves the coax outside the vehicle
and therein lies the weak link... getting the coax inside the vehicle past a weatherseal and a pinch point

That is the problem, the pinching of the coax.

Unless you are leasing a vehicle or still making payments on it drill a hole
put in an NMO mount screw an antenna to it and never worry about pinched coax.

ask around with other local amateurs someone local to you might even have the
proper sized Greenly chassis punch.

AD (N2TBI)

Last edited:

jmaynard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll second the NMO mount recommendation. You don't need the Greenlee punch, though; a 3/4 inch hole saw does fine. Use a variable speed drill, and take it slow.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'll second the NMO mount recommendation. You don't need the Greenlee punch, though; a 3/4 inch hole saw does fine. Use a variable speed drill, and take it slow.
Yes, but a Greenley punch does such a neat and elegant job:)

AD

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Or you could simply drill and use grommets to get the coax out. I have run many wires from the inside to the outside on various vehicles and NEVER pinched the coax. Actually, the coaxs aren't pinches on our 18 trucks with dual antennas at work either.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Or you could simply drill and use grommets to get the coax out. I have run many wires from the inside to the outside on various vehicles and NEVER pinched the coax. Actually, the coaxs aren't pinches on our 18 trucks with dual antennas at work either.
If you are gonna drill a hole mount the antenna in it an the coax winds up inside the vehicle without a grommet.

I've take a drill to the roof of a brand new car enough times that it doesn't even worry me anymore.

Friends have watched in fascination while I got out my Sawsall and walked towards a brand new pickup truck and proceeded to cut a 22x30 hole in the roof. (I haven't owned a vehicle without a sunroof since 1984 and I see no reason to stop cutting holes in my car's roof now...)

drilling a hole in the roof for an antenna is about as emotionally interesting to me as taking a piss.

BTW, the antenna I personall recommend?

a Diamond NR770HNMO.

Mine is the NR770HNMOB (the "B" means it's black)

Avoid the BIG antennae like the SG7900 (the BRASS fold-over
pivot point is weak)

In theory the big antenna getting more signal out is great, but once it snaps off it isn't gonna propagate much signal.

jmaynard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have two Comet SBB-1NMOs on my Bronco II. On top of the roof like that, they work fine even though they're basically just big rubber duckies, and that way I don't have to take them off to get in the garage.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Whatever man. I know you are the "technical advisor" and all but you are making simple tasks too "technical". This is a damn antenna for Christ's sake. Grommets and mount it where you want. That way the drilled hole can be hidden from view and you can make a few more bucks when you sell the POS. Some people are too concerned with disagreeing for the sake of being right.

jmaynard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't speak for Allan, but I will say that a hole-mounted antenna just works better. I used to be the same way, not wanting to do anything to the vehicle for fear of hurting its resale value or looks. Then I had to use a hole-mounted antenna to make one radio work properly (kept getting RF down the coax shield), and never looked back.

It's solid, it's electrically much better, and unless you're selling into the collector market, it makes no difference at all on resale. Just do it.

ChrisW6ATV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I also recommend that you plan to install a permanent NMO mount in the roof of your truck. I have had very good luck with several Larsen antennas on various vehicles and radio bands. If you do want to start with a magnet-mount antenna, a basic MFJ-1724B or MFJ-1729 should be reasonable.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
ok i have a question about antennas and range. i'm looking at picking up a kenwood tm 271a to use in my truck for spectating desert races and pit support for a team. i used to have a mag mount, but sold that whole set up for rent money. now, i have no cares about cutting a hole for the antenna. but, all the time i see highway patrol or regular city cops with around 4 or 5 antennas on the roof, but none of them are over 12-18" long, some even look less than 6". what kind of range am i looking at getting from an antenna that short, or does anyone know of any "puck" style antennas? i'm thinking of ones similar to the antenna lowrance uses for their gps systems, or this one: click here for a low profile look. so far my truck still has the look of being stock, except for a tube bumper, so a

Smokeybehr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 88
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Drill, baby, drill. Put an NMO on the darn thing and forget about it. When time comes to sell, you can remove the NMO and put a hole plug in its place. You can't beat the signal you're going to get with the NMO, and you're not going to risk the 4" diameter rust spot that's going to form under the mag mount. You don't need a chassis punch, just a stepped bit or a real hole saw. Make sure that the saw is for 3/4" outside diameter, and not 3/4" conduit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals