• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lug nut length, Wheel questions

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wheel offset and backspace questions

I have a 2003 FX4 and I am currently ordering the Black Cragar Soft 8's for my truck. I believe the stock wheels are currently 16 x 7 with a +12mm offset right? If I go to an 8 inch wide rim and keep the +12 mm offset, it'll give me a 5 inch backspacing. Is this gonna rub if I go to 265/75/16 from the stock 245/75/16? I've done some checking on my truck and it "looks" like I won't have a problem but I am hoping somebody has done the same thing and tell me for sure. I've also cranked my torsion bars about and inch or so last year.

My other question is dealing with lug nut length. Currently, the stock lug nuts have an overall length of ~1.5 inches. Has anybody else needed to buy new lug nuts when going to a steel wheel? I have a concern that the stock lug nuts may bottom out because of the decreased flange thickness associated with a steel wheel compared to an aluminum one. The problem is, the longest lug nuts I can find from Summit are only 1.400 inches. Should I even worry about it? Should I get open ended nuts just in case?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, allow me to answer my own questions....

I now have a 16x8 inch wheel with a +12 mm offset (5 inch backspacing). I mounted 265/75/R16 BFG ATs and they don't rub (Stock was 245/75R16). I also cranked my torsion bars about 1 inch last summer, so that probably helps.

As for the lug nut length, I decided to buy 1.900 inch long closed end lug nuts from Summit when I ordered the wheels just to be on the safe side. The stock lug nuts are 1.500 long and "would" have worked. With the measurments I took, the stud comes right up to the end of the stock lug nut, but I replaced them anyways.

Then I decided to play in the snow and see if I could get them to rub. Even with the rear tucked all the way, it doesn't rub. As for the front, well, it's a torsion bar front end, so it sucks for flex and doesn't rub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals