• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System. What sensors do I need?

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Booooooooooo

Bought an 07 Ranger yesterday but wanted to keep my 17" GT's. So I made the switch and left the dealership. 20 minutes or so down the road an idiot light goes off and I'm thinking I have problems already. Pull off and look in the manual. Appears my truck is equipped with the TPMS. The truck ran fine otherwise and it didnt appear to be handicapping me in a way when I drove 200 miles home at more than hiway speeds.

Now my problem is that the rims that were originally on the truck are 200 miles away and I need to know what type of sensor I need to get for these wheels.

Does the Ranger use valve stem units or band units ?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure about the sensors. When my dad got his tahoe, he replaced the rims. The stock ones had the sensor in it to monitor the tire pressure. Now every time he drives his truck the message displays that says check tire pressure. He has to press a button to go betwen the ODO and trips to get rid of it. It doesnt really bother him but it would drive me nuts. Have you called the dealership to ask them about the sensors? You might be able to get a set of them. Who has the stock rims? Can they check them for a sensor or the tires still on it?

Hope this helps, Keith

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They are valve stem units and likely over $100 each. Time to drive back and get those sensor out of the wheels.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
shoulda kept the old rims lol

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
how do they work? are they just a small wireless sensor set up? how is it powered?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the sensors are battery powered and transmit a radio signal to an on-board receiver.

theres no way to "trick" or turn off the system. you HAVE to install the sensors in your new wheels to make the light go out.

running with the light on wont hurt anything...its just annoying.

i cant believe whoever installed the wheels failed to notice and inform you of the sensors :dntknw:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If the stock wheels had a metal valve stem they are stem mounted and can be transfered to your new rims, if they had rubber valve stems then they are band mounted. You will have to order 4 new bands for a 17" wheel from ford (about $30 a piece if i remember right) and remove the sensors from the old bands and install them on the new bands. The bands are just like a big hose clamp or CV boot clamp. I can get you part numbers if you need them. (I work at a dealership)

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If the stock wheels had a metal valve stem they are stem mounted and can be transfered to your new rims, if they had rubber valve stems then they are band mounted. You will have to order 4 new bands for a 17" wheel from ford (about $30 a piece if i remember right) and remove the sensors from the old bands and install them on the new bands. The bands are just like a big hose clamp or CV boot clamp. I can get you part numbers if you need them. (I work at a dealership)
Please do. The bands and the sensors both. If there is a technical sheet that shows where the sensors have to be located that would be very helpful.
If it helps, I'm using 96 split 3 spoke Mustang GT 17" wheels. I've enclosed a picture:

I bought my 07 Ranger 8 months used and switched the wheels myself on the vehicles before I left. The dealership I bought the Ranger from was a Chevy dealership, so I can see where they didnt know they existed. I'll be calling them today to see if I can get the sensors from them... probably wont be able to.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How surprising... :annoyed:

They can't find the truck I JUST traded on Saturday. /sigh. :pissedoff: I think they're full of shit and just dont want to pull the wheels off, peel off the tires and remove the sensors. Okay, it's rather obvious.

Looks like I buy a set so I dont have to deal with the light.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
See, that's one of the major turn offs for me buying a new truck. I like the fact that my truck is fairly simple. I don't need a goddamn idiot light telling me to check the tire pressure.

Personally, I would just live with the light, just like how I have lived with the "Door ajar" light for the past 4 years. All I had to do was pull the interior light out. Bed lights were burnt out anyways. or you could always pull the light out of the dash. Unless it has one of htose digital readouts like my parent's 07 taurus.

I wish they would understand that some of us like the old school way of doing things...and that some of us don't like digital readouts on stuff.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I wish they would understand that some of us like the old school way of doing things...and that some of us don't like digital readouts on stuff.

they do this stuff for the same reason Poptarts puts the disclaimer about not leaving the toaster unattended while heating poptarts, it is the whole cover their @$$ theory. :buttkick:

it is unfortunate that todays society is so stupid that we "need" digital read outs and warning lights to remind us to check our tire pressure. :annoyed:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Please do. The bands and the sensors both. If there is a technical sheet that shows where the sensors have to be located that would be very helpful.
If it helps, I'm using 96 split 3 spoke Mustang GT 17" wheels. I've enclosed a picture:

I bought my 07 Ranger 8 months used and switched the wheels myself on the vehicles before I left. The dealership I bought the Ranger from was a Chevy dealership, so I can see where they didnt know they existed. I'll be calling them today to see if I can get the sensors from them... probably wont be able to.
I'll try to remember to get you the part numbers for the sensors and bands. You locate the sensors opposite the valve stem on the rim. I'll let you know tomorrow!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals