• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pressure question

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alight fellas, i got a set of sunpro gauges to watch my vitals and i recently put a new crank in my 85, and if I run 10-40 oil the oil pressure wants to run bout 20 psi while cruising. Before the crank install I was running 20-50 royal purple it would stay around 40 on the highway at about 1600 rpms. Why does this motor want to run that kinda pressure at crusing? When i run the 10-40 weather its synthetic or not it wants to run low psi but with the 20-50 its higher and stays there. Oh right now its got 20-50 oil from autozone and even still it wants to stay about 25 psi while crusing. Just wanna make sure this is normal or if somethin could be wrong.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am not so sure that is normal. Is the gauge you are using mechanical? I was never sure about my oil pressure with the stock electric gauge so I put a mechanical one on and mine idles at 40 psig and runs at 60 psig, which is what the manual says it should be. My engine has over 320,000 miles on it.

Eric <><

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i just changed the oil today to synthetic and it still does the same thing but the oil pressure reads about 10 psi more, and yes its a mechanical gauge. The other thing i didnt mention in the origional post was if I'm cruising and release the gas and let it coast it builds back up to round 40 psi. Ill see what she does tomorrow on my way to work because its a 45 minute drive so itll have time to warm up all the way.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Too much clearance on your main and/or rod bearings will cause low oil pressure.

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Give some more detail about what was done when the crank was changed.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well seeing that when the motor was rebuilt at the begining of the year my machinist matched the crank rods and bearings after shaving the crank. And i guess putting a crank kit in this time it has a hair more clearance with the rods being machined from before. If thats the case what can i do to fix this.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am no machinist, and I may be some what of a hair ball mechanic....but I would think that if the crank/bearings were fitted in such a way that you loose half of your oil pressure, I would think you would be hearing some noise from that area. I tend to wonder if you have a bum pump. I replace the pump on mine when I had the engine out just because it seemed like a logical thing to do, but even my old one ran at 40psig idling and 60 cruising. The bummer is, I really don't think it is possible to change the oil pump w/o removing the engine...

Eric<><

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When i built the motor at the begining of the year it was replaced. I didnt replace it this time because nothing was wrong with it. The night before the motor came out it was reading 40 psi at idle but number 6 rod bearing had spun. But theres no noise coming from the lower side of the motor.

brokedown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Either a pump or bearings and my guess would be bearings. You could add some Lucas Oil Treatment...I did so in my '84 only because I do not want to pull the engine and rebuild or replace it yet. My pressure is now running about 30 psi low and 45-50 with a load. Compression is good and the engine runs well though I do not drive it much as I am purchased it last summer and am going through it in my spare time when I have spare $$$. (Which isn't often these days). :(

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow this is an old post and I forgot this was here. Well bad new on the low oil pressure. It was excessive clearence on the rods and sad to say but either #5 or 6 went through the side of the block. So V8 swap here i come.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I would talk to the machineist who matched the bearings just to see what he says. I allways plastiguage rod and main bearings prior to putting it back together to be sure it is within tolerance. And while I have it apart there is no reason not to put a new high volume pump in.

brokedown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Amen! I have rebuilt two VW 1.8 motors and always played close attention to all the bearings as well as a new oil pump regardless. For the minimal cost it is like insurance. Both ran like a champ, had great compression, and the oil pressure was well within specifications. Sorry to hear about the motor but am geeked about the V8. Good luck.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am too. Starting to find parts now. Hopefully within the year itll be ready to be on the road again.

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wow- I have the same problem- well not quite- My engine has 360,000 miles on it- the pressure gauge was reading low- so I unhooked the sending unit. Now I don't worry what the gauge says_ i just drive, when the thing goes T-U- I'll think about the 302 or 351 swao

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals