• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Tint your headlights

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Original Poster: korey89

Difficulty: 3 out of 10

Time to install: 45 minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: How to tint your headlights with headlight film from Rvinyl

Tools Needed:
- Heatgun
- Fresh razorblade
- Squeegee

Parts Needed:
- Rvinyl tint kit
- Rapid Tac
- Rapid Clear

Here is how to tint your headlights the right way.

First step was going to Rvinyl and ordering their headlight tint kit. For this installation I used "light smoke" film since I wanted a subtle look, but they also offer a "dark smoke", a blue, yellow, and a clear protection film. All come in the same precut pieces as the ones in this tutorial, they also have the kit for the different year trucks too. Here is a link to all their products for our trucks ranger .

Now for the installation all you need is the products from Rvinyl that are shown in the tutorial, and a heatgun (hairdryer will work) and a fresh razor blade maybe.

First thing we need is the film itself.

Here is what it looks like, everything is precut and ready to go. You can't tell in the picture but the holes for the little alignment nipples on the headlights are also cut out, the pieces just haven't been removed.

Supplies you need from Rvinyl. Squeegee with friction sleeve, Rapid Tac, and Rapid Clear.

Now that we have everything we need put the truck somewhere so that where you are working is in the shade, it makes it a little easier since the Rapid Tac wont evaporate as quickly if you work slow.

Now we need to clean the lights, the Rapid Tac works good for that.

Spray it on your lights.

Wipe it off.

Now make sure you start with your foglights as they are the easiest to do. First thing you need to do is spray them with more Rapid Tac.

Peel off the fog light film.

Spray the sticky side with Rapid Tac.

Now put it on and get in centered.

Spray more Rapid Tac on the outside of it.

Now squeegee out the bubbles working from the center out.

Since the glass is convex in shape, the film will not want to be flat on it. There will be some little bubbles on the edges. Take your heat gun and carefully heat them and then work them with the squeegee, working out. The heat gun will shrink the film and it will get nice and tight and bubble free.

Next do the corners, also begin by spraying them with Rapid Tac.

Peel off the correct piece of film and spray it with Rapid Tac.

Stick it on the corner and then get it lined up correctly. Spray more Rapid Tac on it.

Squeegee the bubbles out and then use the heatgun to get the final bubbles out. This one is a little harder since its a little bigger and more complex in shape with more of a curve. You will see the film possibly want to wrinkle when you are squeegeeing it. DO NOT LET IT GET A WRINKLE! If it gets one, it won't fully go away even if you pull it apart. That piece of film will be ruined or you will have to live with it.

Corner done.

Next we will do the headlight. Spray it with Rapid Tac.

Peel off the headlight film and spray it too. You can see the nipples are cut out already in this picture.

Position it and spray on more Rapid Tac.

Squeegee it and then use the heat gun.

One side is done, now repeat on the other side!

Now the film won't be as shiny as you would like, so its time to use the Rapid Clear.

Spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds and then wipe it off. The headlights will look really shiny and great!

Both sides done.

Since the film is smoked, the output color will be changed just a tiny bit. It really isn't even noticeable to the eye but the camera shows it more then you can see. In the picture both of the lights on the drivers side have the film. Actual light output didn't appear to be affected.

One more picture head on. The drivers side is the one with the film in this picture.

Last edited:

korey89

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
should also have a taillight one up soon

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
how legal is this to have on your truck and will it pass through dmv???

1989F150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Laws on this depend on your state, if it is illegal in your state then it will not pass inspection. Thats why most people use the covers so they can take them off come inspection time.

anchorshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004, but they do not list any for 04. Would the 01-03 work for my truck?

***For 04+ you have to purchase their 06+ kit. Reason being is the different fog lights. 01-03 are circles and 04+ are square.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can clearly see the difference. Up here in Alaska i would not give up one Lumen and risk a 1500 lb moose through my cab. Mall crawler vs working machine i guess. :icon_thumby:

anchorshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Need some off road lighting it sounds like. ;)

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
one thing ill add, from working at a tint shop. dawn and water mixture works best, and dont be afraid to use alot. also when u heat it u will see the zig zag lines start to form by the edge, as soon as it starts to do it(ull see what i mean when u start heating it) squeegee it then stop and let cool. u dont wanna heat too much at one time it will ruin the tint

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nice post, very well done text and pics. :icon_thumby:

Now my personal opinion of this kind of modification- I agree with the person from Alaska, I don't want to reduce one lumen, candlepower or smidgen of light coming out of either end of any vehicle.
As a Firefighter of 30+ years, I've seen how STUPID, repeat STUPID or distracted or impaired the typical driver is. I want to be seen coming and going from the farthest possible distance. As I said IMHO.

Once again good quality post.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah yes... another mod that impairs other driver's ability to see you...

fastford03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that's pretty cool. hell i didnt even know you could tint your headlights.

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
hell i didnt even know you could tint your headlights.
Just because your cousin is a whore doesn't mean you should pee in her butt.

Could, doesn't always mean you should.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals