• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New motor?!?!

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I called my motor dead and I want to start over!! I need good idea's what I should do this time from scatch give a reasonable suggestions!!??

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I called my motor dead and I want to start over!! I need good idea's what I should do this time from scatch give a reasonable suggestions!!??
rebuild it.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you want to stick with a V6 rebuild it, it's really up to you though. Considering that it is already wired for a 2.8 V6 that's the easiest thing to put back in. If you wanna go all out put in a V8, or if you like stock with a little extra go prepare to spend a little bit and do what mods you can to the 2.8 while rebuilding.

FWIW for the 2.8 rebuild I'm currently doing, I've got about $1500 in it and have most what I need to reinstall. I've had the heads, block, and crank machined. I've got a Comp cam, lifter, timing set waiting to be installed. Will be reinstalling the Offy, Holley 390, and if they're still good will be reusing the headers. I hope the headers are good if they are I'll put a ceramic coating on them and get a crossover pipe, otherwise I gotta find a set and have the exhaust rebuilt.

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, I got a hold of auto zone and o'reilly's and I figure I can buy a long block for $1,500 sound about right I figure it's a safe bet They got a 3-5 year warranty...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, I got a hold of auto zone and o'reilly's and I figure I can buy a long block for $1,500 sound about right I figure it's a safe bet They got a 3-5 year warranty...
If you can find a cheap 302 for a core a reman is about the same money, just an idea. When my 2.8 eventually departs it will not be replaced by another. The darn little things can hang on the edge of death seamingly forever though, at least mine is.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats about right,i asked last year and it was right at $1500.is your engine beyond rebuilding?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was re-reading your post about low compression and i wonder,have you pulled valve covers?look at the valve stem seals,mine were toast at 150,000 miles.exhaust valves were not sealing,you might be able to just do the heads and get your compression up.certainly worth a look before you shell out the money for another engine.fwiw.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was re-reading your post about low compression and i wonder,have you pulled valve covers?look at the valve stem seals,mine were toast at 150,000 miles.exhaust valves were not sealing,you might be able to just do the heads and get your compression up.certainly worth a look before you shell out the money for another engine.fwiw.
The valve seals just seal the oil and keep it in the head, the actual face of the valve is responsible for sealing compression. The intake/exhaust port is below the seal, so if it was up to the valve seal to hold it all back you would be putting pressure and vacuum through both the carb and exhaust manifold which wouldn't work that well. Aside from setting the valves you really won't see much with just the valve covers off.

A vacuum gauge will tell you alot about what is going on.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
If you have low compression in some or all of your cylinders, buy a compression tool. Do a dry and wet compression test before you rebuild or do an engine swap. You could save a lot of money and a lot of time. Plus it is a very valuable tool!

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what would I be looking for exactly
with valve covers off,check for broken valve springs,bent or loose push rods,look between the springs at the seals around the valve stem,are they intact,broken and partially missing pieces,pieces laying in lifter valley.gently push on them w/small pocket screwdriver,if they are hard and brittle they need changed and good time to take off head and check valve sealing surfaces on intake and exhaust vaves.look at the cylinder walls,are they scratched or are they in good shape.if they are in good shape you might be ok and just need to go through the heads.run a compression check before you do anything though.fwiw.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on second thought,compression that low you are probably are looking at a rebuild or replacement.this is just me,but i'd yank those heads off and have a look just to satisfy my curiosity before buying a long block,then look at cost and time rebuilding versus getting a long block and shoving it in there.good luck and keep us in the loop.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 is mechanical cam. If someone adjusted a couple rockers to tight you would have a couple cylinders with low compression. Probably just wore out though.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you can't swing a rebuild, you could do a rering / rebearing / regasket. Got my kit off eBay shipped for $150. I only plan to put 5 years and 50,000 miles on it, max, before a motor swap so should be fine.

The 2.8 is not a bad little motor just not the best. But you already have it so unless it is completely wore out, I'd stick with what you have!

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well I did I compression test and sit bout 60-70 then did a wet test with oil and it jumped up to 120 so I think the rings are shot!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals