• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB radio power

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
wasn't sure where to put this, but i had the power hooked directly onto the battery head, pos and neg. now the battery won't charge b/c of the buildup. i want to to tie it into the fuse box somehow, or whatever is the best way to fuse it. how do i do it?
thanks

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That alone shouldn't have killed your battery unless its drawing more than your current electrical can support. Fusing it won't help that, tho having an inline fuse close the batt hookup is always a good idea.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A CB radio shouldn't have killed your battery. Unless you left it on for a year. I've accidentally left mine on at work, which was about 9 hours with the truck off, and it didn't hesitate to start. Something else is going on there.

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i dont think it's that the radio was taking away the charge. i think the build up of stuff on the battery heads was causing the battery not to charge right, b/c it gained charge after disconnecting the Cb power, and cleaning the heads. i just wanna hook the Cb up somewhere where it won't create that build up. i just figured the fuse box woul be a good place. i'll tie the neg. in with some other cables grounded to the truck.

where should i tie the pos. into once i get an inline fuse?
does the neg. need an inline fuse also?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the build up was corrosion and probably not caused by your CB.

Find your under the hood fuse box and you should be able to bolt it on at the same point the battery cables go in to it. Run your ground right to the chassis, don't bother tying it in with other grounds...

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thats how i have it now, when i said tied in w/ other grounded, it's just grounded under the same bolt as two other ground cables.
i cleaned off the battery heads as good as possible, shouldn't have corrosion anymore, if it does that's another small problem

thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals