• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

big problems with my 2.8

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hae a huge problem, i am in the middle of rebuilding a 2.8 and have found that the fromt bolt into the crankshaft is missing, does anybody have the specs on this bolt or have one they would sell me?

i really need to get this truch done

also if anyone has any suggestions on how to remove broken off exaust manifold bolts from the heads or if you have heads you would sell me
near trenton nj

man i really wish my dad had just let me do the valve stem seals.....

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the bolt for the harmonic balancer? You should be able to pick one up from any specialty fastener place. You would have to know the spec of the bolt though. I can't recall what it is, but someone here should know. Any Ford dealer should be able to provide the spec.

Removing the broken manifold bolts shouldn't be too difficult. You need a set of drill bits and an extractor set which are both readily available from any tool store. Drill a hole down the middle of the bolt, tap in the extractor and twist it out. If it is stuck in there good, you can also just drill it out and retap the hole. Make sure you drill straight, otherwise you will drill into the head.

When I worked as a machinist, I found that welding a nut onto the bolt shank was the fastest and easiest way of getting broken bolts out. However, if the bolt is broken off below the machined surface, that isn't going to work.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the bolt for the harmonic balancer?

Removing the broken manifold bolts shouldn't be too difficult. You need a set of drill bits and an extractor set which are both readily available from any tool store. Drill a hole down the middle of the bolt, tap in the extractor and twist it out. If it is stuck in there good, you can also just drill it out and retap the hole. Make sure you drill straight, otherwise you will drill into the head.

When I worked as a machinist, I found that welding a nut onto the bolt shank was the fastest and easiest way of getting broken bolts out. However, if the bolt is broken off below the machined surface, that isn't going to work.
yes,that bolt

and iv tryed all of those methods exept drilling and re-tapping the holes, broken 3 extractors

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you tried these? (they only work if the bolt is sticking out of the head)

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
just go to a hardware store and buy top grade bolts. thats what i did when i had to put new bolts on my fan clutch

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
yes,that bolt

and iv tryed all of those methods exept drilling and re-tapping the holes, broken 3 extractors
Then I would suggest drilling and re-tapping or taking the head to a machine shop. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are the worst bolts to break next to chassis bolts. :annoyed:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Machine shop and junkyard.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried these? (they only work if the bolt is sticking out of the head)

have a set, bolt isnt sticking out anymore...

old boss welded a nut to it and it snapped off
Start with:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38180
Then look for "Kroil" the stuff is amazing. http://www.kanolabs.com/

be patient, it will work out.

I'd try a junk yard for that crank bolt.
ill deffinetly give that stuff a try, looks amazing
just go to a hardware store and buy top grade bolts. thats what i did when i had to put new bolts on my fan clutch
i dont know the size and therad of the bolt...., and the engine is german built and therefore mostlikeley metric
Then I would suggest drilling and re-tapping or taking the head to a machine shop. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are the worst bolts to break next to chassis bolts. :annoyed:
thats the next step.....
and why take them to a machene shop

thank you all,
bill:icon_welder:

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
and why take them to a machene shop

thank you all,
bill:icon_welder:
Most people (like myself) don't have the coordination to drill straight with a hand drill. Machine shops have jigs and such to line things up perfectly to gaurantee the hole will be straight. Luckily, I happen to have the equipment in my parent's garage so it saves me the trip to the shop. :D

sloue

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have 3 of those bolts you can have. pm your info see if i cant get it to you. i also have like 5 good heads ,well so so heads. you can have also but shiping would kill you

Last edited:

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most people (like myself) don't have the coordination to drill straight with a hand drill. Machine shops have jigs and such to line things up perfectly to gaurantee the hole will be straight. Luckily, I happen to have the equipment in my parent's garage so it saves me the trip to the shop. :D
my votec teacher says he can drill em out for me, and if he screws em up hes out a set of heads.....

i have 3 of those bolts you can have. pm your info see if i cant get it to you. i also have like 5 good heads ,well so so heads. you can have also but shiping would kill you
i have all brand new grade 8 bolts to go in the holes, i just need the holes empty

O and does anybody have pictures of how to do the duraspark swap, i know i can get the carb and am buying a set of headers, but im kinda nervous

o and the motor is getting pulled sometime this week, and rebuilt in school for a grade. any tips on how to transport it im my other ranger, i was thinking set the oil pan in an old tire and tie it down real well

also, whats a good way to hold the trans up in the truck, my dad thinks a cinder block with a bottle jack on it, any other ideas:icon_welder:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
any tips on how to transport it im my other ranger, i was thinking set the oil pan in an old tire and tie it down real well
That's worked for me.

Machine shops can work wonders with busted bolts. Actually busted the bolt off in my steering knuckle on my Tempo that holds the shock (yes I know, those are usually easy, not the case in my situation). Machine shop extracted it and I didn't have to do anything except get a new bolt for it and pay $23. If you have several that are busted, that could get expensive though.

Even busted a bolt off in a harmonic balancer trying to get it off with a cheap puller. They got it out no problem.

FWIW, If the 2.8L heads are anything like the 2.9Ls, some have drilled all the way through and used longer bolts with nuts.

Pete

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they are close to the 2.9

and idk of a machene shop close, o and moolah is real tight so she's gonna go slow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals