• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB mounting suggestions

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering how I should mount my CB in my truck. I have a bench seat so their is no space on the tranny hump. I had it velcroed to the dash but I just wasnt into that spot. So please I could use a few ideas. thanks.

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
Mount it to the roof. That is always nice. just remove the headliner and run your wires through the pillars and it looks good. plus your speaker is most likely on the bottom of the cb so you will be able to hear it good.

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
is their any kind of sub support underneath the head liner that the mount could attach to?

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the ashtray and 12v outlet, used the 12 power leads to power the CB and cut a small metal piece to fit the outline of the hole and mounted my CB to it. I will do my best to remeber a pick tomorrow. Shoot me a PM if I forget.

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
is their any kind of sub support underneath the head liner that the mount could attach to?
Actually Not sure :icon_confused:. My Ranger has a sunroof so mine doesnt. There is in my F350 though.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
My '03 doesn't have much behind the headliner and the '88 didn't so I am guessing NOT! But there is still a lot of support up there.

I mounted a small CB, a Uniden 520 with pwr mic on a small overhead console I built and mounted to the Headliner. I thought it would bounce and pull the headline down but in five years of use it never did.

How big is the CB you will be using, if small then you might use a 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 or 2 inch aluminum strip on the top side of the head liner and bolt through it to mount the CB Brkt.

Make the strip longer than the CB Mounting brkt so it will spread out load.

Run both the Power (red +) and Ground (blk -) wires back to the battery using a fuse on at least the power wire and as close to the battery as reasonable. Run an additional wire from the chassis of the CB (one of the rear cover mounting screws) to a good grounding point maybe to a ground point close to the battery or on the engine.

Just thinking...

Luck,

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can use the screws that hold the visors in place. Run a small metal strap to each screw and mount the CB to that.

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Uniden PC78. In other words it's a big mofo Im not sure it will even fit longitudinally on the roof. I will be checking today and will let you all know. Thanks for the help so far keep em coming. :icon_thumby:

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Another question I have is: how are you all running your coax into the cab? Photos would help if you got em.

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is the link to photos of my solutions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_v/sets/72157613682899175/

My radio was just too wide to fit nicely on the roof. This set up works OK but it is a little hard to reach the climate controls. Hopefully I can work out something better but this will work for now. Hope this helps somebody out.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I took out my ashtray and mounted mine there, I had to redesign the air duct and move some electrical stuff around, but it fit nice. Making sure I had room to plug the mic in was the tricky part.

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah your setup looks sweet, I envy you. The only problem is that my 99 has a passenger airbag toggle and the air box is right behind all of that. So their is about 3" of usable space behind it. Unless I switch over to buckets this is really the only place this thing will fit nicely. But if anyone else has any ideas I will gladly entertain them. Thanks everyone.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If you got an aftermarket headunit (that was thinner than your stock one) then you would have room under it to put the CB in dash.

-plumcrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals