• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where can i find flow thru carb turbos???

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i decided to just stay with the carb set up on my 2.3 turbo and now looking for performance turbos. what are my options on carb flow thru turbos???

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blow thru carbs are usually designed for larger engines, and to find one for a 2.3 probably doesn't exist unless 700cfm's doesn't bother you. They are also expensive.

You can mount carbs on the intake side of blowers, but this takes some carb work also. These are called "wet" systems, and the blower has to have special seals when used in this manner. Early 80's Pontiacs used this system on some engines, as did Ford and Chrysler in the 70's.:)shady

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the stock turbo should be good for well over 200HP...are you really planning on cranking the boost up that high?

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
blow thrugh sucks imo just stick with a suck trough.... just make sure you have the right seal in the turbo its carbon i think

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i decided to just stay with the carb set up on my 2.3 turbo and now looking for performance turbos. what are my options on carb flow thru turbos???
Do a web search. There are several options available.:)shady

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All of the Holley 4150 4V and similar 2V carbs can be prepped for blow-through duty without having an enclosure. That includes the sub-400cfm models.

However, I get the impression that this thread is about the stock '79-80 drawthrough setup. In that case, you can physically use any turbo you want as long as it has a carbon compressor seal installed. Most modern turbos do not, but they are still available as options for many popular(and some not so popular) models.

Using a blow-through configuration is better IMO because it allows for intercooling which 2.3Ts desperately need above 10-14psi.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals