• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

13b In Ranger

Gui

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i think ford should put a 13b turbo off a rx7 in there rangers like mazda did with there REPU trucks this thing would get better gas milage than 4.0 and give you sam or way better power went you put ur foot down and turbo spools up,or you have it run higher psi

(The Rotary Pickup (REPU) from Mazda was the world's first and only Wankel engined pickup truck. It was sold from 1974 to 1977 and appears to have been available only in the United States and Canada. Toyo Kogyo (Mazda) made trucks for Ford in the Courier as well as its own Mazda B-Series. These trucks shared many of the same parts, but the Rotary Engined Pickup (REPU) had a 4-port 13B 4-barrel carbureted engine, flared fenders, a different dash, front grille, and round taillights.)

prob be easyer fitting this than an old v8 when my brothers 3rd gen rx7 rapes the new mustangs and he only took out emitions,ported his turbo to get better mpg,and bigger intercooler and only running 10 psi.

(Series 6 (1992–1995) was exported throughout the world and had the highest sales. In Japan, Mazda sold the RX-7 through its Efini brand as the Efini RX-7. Only the 1993–1995 model years were sold in the U.S. and Canada. Series 6 came with 255 PS (188 kW/252 hp) and 294 N·m (217 lb·ft)

compared to the stock 4.0l

The 4.0 version, although produced in Cologne like the others, was only fitted to American vehicles. The pushrod OHV engine was produced until 2000 and was used in the Ford Explorer, Ford Aerostar, Mazda B4000 and Ford Ranger. Output was 160 hp (119 kW) and 225 ft·lbf (305 N·m). Though there is some variation, typically 155 hp (116 kW) is quoted as horsepower for 1990-92 applications.

the thing is that no-one know of this engine???and since turbo technology has come a long way now...

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The torque curve of a Wankel engine is not suited for a pickup. It is a very linear curve, meaning you really have to spin it up to get any power our of it. Emissions in a Wankel are also horrible because of the weird elongated shape of the combustion chamber. It's a thirsty engine as well. Although my 4 banger turbo ranger could outrun 99.9957% of the rangers out there, I think I'd rather tow with a 4.0 than my 2.3t just because it wouldn't stress the engine as much, and a Wankel would be even worse than a 2.3t. It's a nice thought, but the Wankel is a sporty engine for light vehicles, not trucks.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
a small engine is still a small engine out of boost. if the turck is just a 2wd that you dont haul or tow with the rotary might be feasable but I wouldnt bother with it. Im not sure if the ecomony would even increase it may decrease

Gui

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah u got a point. sorry for double post im new

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
The torque curve of a Wankel engine is not suited for a pickup. It is a very linear curve, meaning you really have to spin it up to get any power our of it. Emissions in a Wankel are also horrible because of the weird elongated shape of the combustion chamber. It's a thirsty engine as well. Although my 4 banger turbo ranger could outrun 99.9957% of the rangers out there, I think I'd rather tow with a 4.0 than my 2.3t just because it wouldn't stress the engine as much, and a Wankel would be even worse than a 2.3t. It's a nice thought, but the Wankel is a sporty engine for light vehicles, not trucks.
Truck or not, a 2wd Ranger is a pretty light vehicle.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe its just because I deal with older vehicles (and newer cars are total pigs), but to me 3200ish pounds is not that light. To me, light 2800 and down.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a '92 2wd, standard cab, short bed weighs in at just under 2900lbs.

but thats still heavier than the 2600lb chassis that the engine originally came in.

but regardless of how heavy a ranger is, wankels are gutless at low RPM in ANY vehicle.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't think you'd see any improvement in efficiency at all, but it would be interesting to see one just for the unique factor. Perhaps if you could lay your hands on a 20b then the swap might be worth it?

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
a 20b in a ranger...:icon_hornsup:..a 20bturbo:hottubfun:
i have often thought of doin a 13b turbo swap just because my 88 is 2wd and only good on the street, so i say, go for it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals