• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3T build, general questions

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So with all the hype about doing 2.3T swaps from Tbirds into Rangers, what's the big deal with just trading the hyperuetectic pistons out for some forged in the stock block and putting together my own turbo setup? I've done it before on my 5.0 Ranger and am tempted to do it on a 2.3 now.

My big complaint is with the EEC-IV system. I don't like it. I find the EEC-V far superior, I already have the tuning capabilities to work with it, and I would DEFINITELY like to keep it in the 2.3 truck. Trading back to EEC-IV seems like alot of work and headache for something that will probably face numerous drivability issues as time goes on.

So, I have spent alot of time reading and searching, and as far as I can tell, the only difference between the 2.3 block and 2.3T block (well, bottom end I should say), is the fact that the 2.3T runs forged pistons and the basic Ranger 2.3 runs a hyperuet. piston. Am I seriously overlooking something or... what?

PS. I have access to the equipment and knowledge to a rod forge to do my own swap; I'm just curious if there's some glaring difference in the 2.3's that I'm overlooking!

Thanks - Matt

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
So, I have spent alot of time reading and searching, and as far as I can tell, the only difference between the 2.3 block and 2.3T block (well, bottom end I should say), is the fact that the 2.3T runs forged pistons and the basic Ranger 2.3 runs a hyperuet. piston. Am I seriously overlooking something or... what?

Thanks - Matt

That, and they are tapped for the oil feeds for the turbo as well. (pass. side of course)

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That, and they are tapped for the oil feeds for the turbo as well. (pass. side of course)
Right, which if I'm going to tear it down to swap pistons, tapping the pan for drainback is no big deal. Thanks for the quick response :)

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depending on the year of your truck, it may have powdered rods also. I would change to forged rods. The engine management system is easily adaptable with OBD-V. Most use a tuner of some sort.:)shady

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year is your 2.3? Keep what you have and tune it. In your case, stick with the EEC-V.

I am pretty sure that the 2.3 or 2.5 Lima never came with powdered rods.

If your block is in good shape, just hone it out, and drop in some stock t-bird pistons and rods with new rings, you can usually get a set for about $75 off ebay or turboford or something like that.

IMHO it's also good to get some SS valves and hardened seats if the engine is out.

I've never ridden in a 5.0 ranger or 5.0t as is your case, but I can tell you that a 2.3t pushing out 26-27psi is hellishly fast.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year is your 2.3? Keep what you have and tune it. In your case, stick with the EEC-V.

If your block is in good shape, just hone it out, and drop in some stock t-bird pistons and rods with new rings, you can usually get a set for about $75 off ebay or turboford or something like that.

IMHO it's also good to get some SS valves and hardened seats if the engine is out.

I've never ridden in a 5.0 ranger or 5.0t as is your case, but I can tell you that a 2.3t pushing out 26-27psi is hellishly fast.
I don't actually have a truck yet. I'm watching for a local (or somewhat local) 95-'00ish 2.3, single cab, 2wd with maybe like a head gasket out or a shot clutch, etc. that I can fix easily and start the project on in spring/summer.

From what I've read, stock rods in any 2.3 are MORE than adequate for anything streetable. I was just making sure that I wasn't missing something blatant in the 2.3 vs 2.3T block aside from the piston type. But yes, if I do go through with this, it WILL be in the 25-30psi range. No question.

As for the 5.0T Ranger... well, let's be honest :) #1, I don't own it anymore. It was a badass truck and all, but it wasn't good on gas. #2, it was a screaming Ranger for the lifted, 4wd variety. But really, the remote turbo project was really more of a "see if I can" adventure than anything. It would beat alot of rides, but it really wasn't THAT incredibly quick. Plus, I do alot of commuting now while I'm in college, and since it lacked cruise and whatnot, it was kind of a pain to drive around alot.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All 2.5's have powdered rods. Not sure about 2.3's.:)shady

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea, definitely find one 95+ with the 2.3 and not the 2.5. With the 2.3 just swap in some forged pistons, you can even keep the stock 9.4:1 compression ratio with stock ranger spec forged pistons, and then run the felpro 1035 head gasket. Run the EEC-V and tune it right, obviously you will need larger injectors for a high CR high boost engine and you will need a MAF that will not max out (those are easy enough to find from V8 cars). Then one of the multitude of 2.3 turbo headers or manifolds out there and a nice holset turbo and you can play at 30+ psi on high compression and eat mustangs for lunch.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Old thread, I know, but NOW your talkin...... BII + 26-27 LB/boost = Mushtang WTF was THAT?????????????? My 2.8 finally wheezed its' self to death today, so, I was thinking instead of another 2.8, why NOT something completely different than another V8 swap? got that one going all ready, anyways......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals