• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone do CAD drawings?

achapman89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need help to get proper drawings.
Manifold, flanges, intake, etc.
All drawings will help.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i go to school for drafting (trade school, senior year highschool) i can do basic drawings. All 2d though. I can do some stuff for you. But i dont know how i would get it to you. What are you using it for?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So you want someone else to measure parts and make CAD drawings for you?

I charge $50/H

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I do all that stuff as well, Pro E, Auto CAD, you name it. Like CopyKat if someone would have to do all the work they will charge for it. I would like to help you out but I'm already past nuts deep in work and projects already.

Matt

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly are you looking for? Are you going to be using these to make parts? Mock stuff up? CFD analysis? Specifics will help people decide how much time you're asking for and that will help them decide whether or not to help you. If you plan on making these and selling them, then your probably going to pay to have drawings made. You'll also probably have to make prototypes to make sure the drawings are accurate enough for your uses.

I consider myself an advanced user of Solidworks. I can draw anything you want. 2D, 3D, solids, surfaces, etc. Some things take a lot less time than others.

One thing you have to worry about is tolerances and measuring. Taking an existing part, measuring it, AND getting it to bolt up the first time usually doesn't happen that easily. Unless you have a CMM laying around....

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
What drawings are you looking for and what are you going to do with them?

As the other posters have indicated, most people who have put in the work to create the geometry files aren't going to be too eager to give away their work. Now if we were trading files, that would be better. I've got probably 75% of the geometry of the various mating surfaces mapped for the 2.3 but, even I'm not going to be too willing to give them away for somebody else to make money off of.

Hondafreak08,
Normally, these types of files are transfered between users via .dxf or .dwg format. Most any CAD/CAM package can open them. The trouble with creating these types of files is that you have to have either the part or it's mating gasket on hand to measure and make the drawing from. Preferably both as unfortunately there is often little in common between two mating surfaces and the gasket that goes between them. The junction of the upper and lower intakes on a '85-'88 Ranger for instance.

achapman89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am also a high school student. No way I would be selling other people's work! If I was the money would be for them not me. I'm only looking for measurements to make my own drawing if I have to or the 2d (3d is great too) to attempt to machine on my own. There are a shitton of tooling, machining, etc places around here that could give me some visual help and the vocational school is letting me use the systems. I'm just here to learn something new.

Why not just learn how to do the drawing myself? I bit off a little to much I guess, I have projects too. :D I don't expect any PRO help just some quick numbers or simple CAD/CAM stuff. Might even be able to send you what you draw if nothing else.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Umm, I don't think you have a complete grasp of the 'power' of CAD. If I gave you a .jpg showing a dimensioned drawing then you could draw it for yourself. However if I sent you a .dxf or .dwg file of the part then you could open it and already have the drawing.

Specifically, what part drawings are you looking for?

achapman89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know the difference between a drawing and a CAD drawing. I would need the .dwg's to get the most accurate product the first time around. Most surfaces of the engine would be great.

The interest here is to make my own flanges (My first will be the 5-bolt and the downpipe) maybe someday a custom exhaust manifold for a twin turbo. Maybe a better air intake. Get one of those Volvo DOHC's on there. There are a TON of things. Most of them are so I can learn from and play with my ideas rather than wondering, what if?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have noticed they have TurboCAD at places like OfficeMax for about $100 that you can do 3D modeling on. They have stuff for 2D there for cheaper but after you go 3D it is hard going back. It may not be the easiest thing in the world to run but you can do whatever you want as opposed to try to tell someone what you need. I used Autodesk Inventor up until 2 years ago when I changed jobs and I really enjoyed it, but it isn't very cheap just to play around with.

achapman89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know the school has a few programs but the problem is learning and having the parts to measure. Most of the turbo guys already have some of the measures I need.

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I draw for a living also, 2D and 3D. I do millwork (wood) shop drawings and CNC programming, but can draw anything you can measure and dimension.

Brian

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If all you want to do is create your own drawings of parts, you don't need a lot of experience or tools, as long as you can print at true 1:1 on a laser printer or etc. to check your work. Also need to have a caliper, machinist's protractor, accurate scale, and a lot of patience/time on your hands.

I assume you are using AutoCAD or something like it. All you really need to know to accomplish what you are asking about could be contained in a couple page pamphlet or a long email. Very basic commands:

Line, Trim, Fillet (with and without the radius modifier), Object Snap, Circle (with the Radius or Diameter modifers), Erase, Construction Line (with the Angle modifier), Rotate (with a reference), Object UCS, World UCS, Arc, and Offset can make just about anything you would want for a 2.3t, unless you are trying for advanced 3D or to draw the whole engine or something. Learn those commands and how to dimension parts, and then go to town. Print things out 1:1 and check them against your parts, tweaking things until the fit is correct.

Even when I do manual high level CNC machine programming at work, the Z axis is controlled through the assignment of specific layer names that correspond to a unique cutting tool and the distance it runs above the bed of the machine. The X and Y axis are controlled from a polyline in an AutoCAD drawing that has been exported to dxf and sent downstairs to the router.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science. Pick up a For Dummies if you have to, I am self-taught via that method with some on-the-job training on the CNC end of things.

Brian

achapman89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need drawings of parts I'm going to make. I can't go out and measure what I don't have yet. :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals