• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oversized radiator for towing

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2007 Ranger XLT, std cab, 2.3L, 5spd man, 2wd

The stock radiator holds about 1 slurpee of liquid. I would like to "SuperSize" the radiator for towing. Where can I get a larger radiator?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what you can tow with that truck I wouldn't waste the time or money

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, I kinda agree. the overheating issue may be related to the overloading of the truck maybe?

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For what you can tow with that truck I wouldn't waste the time or money
I was really looking for some intelligent people who might know some manufacturers. But thanks anyway.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was really looking for some intelligent people who might know some manufacturers. But thanks anyway.
Im the dummy?? I have a 4.0. Go get a truck with some balls. Intelligent people don't buy a 4 banger for towing. Buy a BIGGER truck. All I was saying was that for whatever that truck can safely handle, the stock rad will be FINE.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whatever that truck can safely handle, the stock rad will be FINE.
+1, Ford did test these things at the factory. If you are having problems keeping the thing cool you need to get it fixed because something is wrong with it... or you are abusing it.

I have worked the snot out of my little 23 year old single row radiator in my Ranger, even with an auto it has YET to get hot.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its really unwise to insult the people you expect to help you. rather than calling people names (we're all adults here), you should heed the advise of people with more experience in these subjects than yourself.

ford used essentially the same sized radiator in your 2.3 as they did in the early 4.0's. if its enough to cool off a 220ft-lb v-6, its overkill for your dinky 154ft-lbs 4-popper. ive towed over 3,000lbs up 10% grades in june with my 3.0 and never "run out" of cooling system capacity. your going to be hard pressed to over-load your stock cooling system...just make sure you keep it maintained and it'll be fine.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1, Ford did test these things at the factory. If you are having problems keeping the thing cool you need to get it fixed because something is wrong with it... or you are abusing it.

I have worked the snot out of my little 23 year old single row radiator in my Ranger, even with an auto it has YET to get hot.

Really? You know this for a fact that Ford tested the Ranger cooling system by towing loads around in the desert mountains?

Ya, right.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
use the 4.0L radiator. it will fit. the radiator for the mustang will fit aswell, just not sure what years

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im the dummy?? I have a 4.0. Go get a truck with some balls. Intelligent people don't buy a 4 banger for towing. Buy a BIGGER truck. All I was saying was that for whatever that truck can safely handle, the stock rad will be FINE.

Well you've not towed much.

I used to tow a 3500lb trailer with a 1969 Toyota Landcruiser that had 135hp. It had a 4" thick radiator that must've held 3 gallons by itself. I towed all over Montana in the summer. Sometimes doing a whopping 20mph up a pass. I'm saying this because some of you weren't born when 143hp was a lot of power.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really? You know this for a fact that Ford tested the Ranger cooling system by towing loads around in the desert mountains?

Ya, right.
Volvo Arizona Proving Ground (VAPG) - Wittmann, Arizona

Volvo Arizona Proving Ground opened in 1985. The Proving Grounds consists of 1,498 acres (6.06 km²) located one hour northwest of the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport at an elevation of 1,650 feet (500 m). Volvo Arizona Proving Ground is operated year round. The climate is of a desert type with low annual rainfall and low relative humidity. Daytime temperatures are high throughout the summer months. The winters are mild. Nighttime temperatures frequently drop below freezing during the three coldest months, but the afternoons are usually sunny and warm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Proving_Grounds#Volvo_Arizona_Proving_Ground_.28VAPG.29_-_Wittmann.2C_Arizona

Dunno why they call it Volvo now, in my '85 Ranger brochure they just call it the "Arizona Proving Grounds"

They put them thru the paces doing what they are rated to do so they avoid unneccesary warentee claims and bad publicity.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well you've not towed much.

I used to tow a 3500lb trailer with a 1969 Toyota Landcruiser that had 135hp. It had a 4" thick radiator that must've held 3 gallons by itself. I towed all over Montana in the summer. Sometimes doing a whopping 20mph up a pass. I'm saying this because some of you weren't born when 143hp was a lot of power.
Horespower means almost nothing when towing. It's the torque that really matters. Also that landcruiser is totally different than your new ranger. And probably came with a straight 6. Apples to Oranges. Did you not read anything that wicked sludge had to say (intelligent??) And How can you say I've not towed much?? Where does that come from?? You want to put in a bigger radiator?? Go ahead WASTE your money on something your truck DOESN'T NEED. And also.... I'M SORRY that I tried to save you some time money NOOB!!

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Proving_Grounds#Volvo_Arizona_Proving_Ground_.28VAPG.29_-_Wittmann.2C_Arizona

Dunno why they call it Volvo now, in my '85 Ranger brochure they just call it the "Arizona Proving Grounds"

They put them thru the paces doing what they are rated to do so they avoid unneccesary warentee claims and bad publicity.
Thank you for the link. However, that land is flat and 1600' elevation, so I don't think Ford towed anything up a pass there. I used to live there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals