• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting help!!

Mavrick70004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so i was driving home from class when out of nowhere i sort of hissing sound came ofrom the engine area i thought maybe i was dragging somthing like a big bag or somthing then i accelerator very slowly and i got a backfire that sounded like a gunshot everytime i gave it gas it backfired i pushed the clutch in and it died i release the clutch and it started back up under compression and then pushed it back in died and rolled off the road. i figured maybe i was out of gas since my gauge is off about half a tank, i pumped and cranked pumped and cranked but nothing i put 5 gallons of gas nothing, gas in the carb and nothing when gas was in the carb when i cranked it over it would give a soft begging of a backfire but no start, so i have air have fuel i am figuring i have compression since in order for the engine not to start more than one piston would have to not have compression and the chance of more than one piston losing compression at the same time seems rare and the startup sound, sounds normal a nice clean starter sound with no unusual engine noise, so that leaves spark, ignition module maybe? any help and suggestions please? i am now transportation less haha

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6 durasparked holley 350
Transmission
Manual
check what yur spark looks like, i had my ignition module go out a while back an it acted like that somewhat. but pull a plug stick yur wire back on an check yur spark see what color ya got goin on.

Mavrick70004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did a quick check i have spark coming out of my MSD ignition coil but no spark coming out of the cap could my new coil have burnt somthing out? And the spark is not anything shocking but its blue , i would have expected somthin bigger with "50,000" volts coming out of it though haha

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6 durasparked holley 350
Transmission
Manual
pull yur cap an check out what it looks like in there? any cracks or anything that shouldnt be

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the stock distributor?

They have two screws that hold the rotor in, I had one screw completely back out and the other loosen up on mine. The rotor then destroyed itself against the inside of the distributor cap.

When mine let go it died, it tried to come back, died, and stayed dead with a overly dramatic backfire blew out my muffler. I don't remember a hissing noise, but I was driving down the highway when it happened.

Yours might have just came loose, but hasn't destroyed itself yet. Plus side is they are cheap, down side is they had to order mine.

Last edited:

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
Tell us more about your rig. Do you have stock ignition or the Duraspark conversion? Are you using the stock Motorcraft feedback carb? If you are using a Motorcraft carb of any kind I would certainly check for blown power valve with all that backfiring. The Motorcraft carbs did not have power valve blowout protection like the Holleys. If you have the stock TFI ignition, I would suspect the ignition module on the side of the distributor might have gone bad. They were famous for that - couldn't take the heat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals