• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Way to rid rust on frame?

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know what the best way to get rust off a pickup frame is? I am going to paint it, and I will not paint over rust. Also, best paint to use?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it. Sandblasting is probably the best way, but would really require you to strip the truck down at least most of the way. An acid bath would work as well, but would require you to really take the truck all the way apart and transport the frame somewhere for it to be done. A wire brush on a drill will work well, but you have a hard time getting into seams, joints, crevices, etc and is rather time consuming. There's probably other options I haven't mentioned as well.

What exactly are you going for? Complete resto? Quick repaint? Do you plan to remove the body?

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it. Sandblasting is probably the best way, but would really require you to strip the truck down at least most of the way. An acid bath would work as well, but would require you to really take the truck all the way apart and transport the frame somewhere for it to be done. A wire brush on a drill will work well, but you have a hard time getting into seams, joints, crevices, etc and is rather time consuming. There's probably other options I haven't mentioned as well.

What exactly are you going for? Complete resto? Quick repaint? Do you plan to remove the body?
No, I do not in any way want to remove the body. My pickup is a 99, rust is kinda bad for being that new. It has no really bad stuff yet. No, I just want to remove as much of the rust as possible and touch 'er up. It looks better and prevents the rust getting worse.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
if its really flaky then id get your self a needle scaller their AWESOME! or a nice knotted wire wheel on a grinder an go to town. then take a 36 grit sanding disc an go over it all then start painting.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
There is one thing I have done that actually worked out well. Get a large cheap tarp and lay it on the ground then pull the truck onto the tarp. Go out and buy a cheap sandblasting gun ($15) and several cheap bags of Black Diamond and just go to town. You will of course need a half decent sized air compressor to run the gun and some form of protection (I wore a thin pair of coveralls, a knit hat, and a full face mask). It's alot easier getting into tight corners and I think that for the cost spent it's well worth it compared to the time and labor you could be saving if it is really rusty.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
use a self etching anti-corrosion zinc primer before painting it black.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
thanks everyone. Think the sandblaster idea sounds good. I think I know where I can borrow one...

use a self etching anti-corrosion zinc primer before painting it black.
2 things: What is that and where do I get it?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
thanks everyone. Think the sandblaster idea sounds good. I think I know where I can borrow one...

2 things: What is that and where do I get it?
its used on bare steel and filler. it is typically olive drab in color and uses zinc to control oxidation.the body shop by the ocean i worked at got it from napa(martin senour) by the gallon with a separate activator for over 100$.though i've seen it as a duplicolor brand in rattle can.

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont get the spray can version from duplicolor...ive worked in a body shop for the last 4 years and if your gonna use a product out of a rattle can use the brand SEM may be a little bit more expensive but ive never had any problems with that brand

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
sem does make decent bumper black,etc.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
dont get the spray can version from duplicolor...ive worked in a body shop for the last 4 years and if your gonna use a product out of a rattle can use the brand SEM may be a little bit more expensive but ive never had any problems with that brand
Where is this available, do you know?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nah man, they did it by just splashing the coke on there, let it sit for a few then rub the rust off with something abrasive like steel wool.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals