• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Conversion Tech Page

offroadingranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I see plagiarism is still alive. I had a website up for a few years dedicated to 2.8L Rangers & BII's, it was 2800performance.com. It included an article that I wrote about the A4LD transmission including a procedure for controlling TCC lockup without the computer. I discovered a few months ago that a transmission parts web-store transmissioncenter.org had copied my write up and photo's and is using them to sell pressure switches. Now I've discovered that TRS has copied the write up and has included it in the 2.8 Duraspark Conversion article. No biggie, I posted the info because I hoped that it would be helpful, and I will assume that it must be by the way it's being spread around.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why are you coming on here accusing this site of plagiarism now. That 2.8L Duraspark Conversion page has been up for as long as I can remember. I saw your site's conversion page, as I used to check the site out on a regular basis waiting for it to be updated. I can assure anyone reading this that TRS's conversion page is not plagiarized. Sure the idea and procedures may be close but having the same idea isn't plagiarism. Hell if it is then I could accuse you of plagiarizing my dad when you put it on your web site, he originally did the duraspark conversion on my truck in the late 80s.

If you're referring to just transmission part, although the way you worded it you seem to be referring to the whole page, it may be so. I can't seem to recall ever seeing anything about the A4LD on your site, but then I never searched for it either as I don't have one. Speaking of searching even when your site was up and running it was extremely hard to find. I remember any time I wanted to access it (and didn't have it bookmarked) I had to dig through pages of Google results before finding it. Now that 2800performance appears to be gone I guess we'll never know, and you aught to be glad the info is still out there somewhere helping people. In the defense of TRS atleast they ain't using it to sell anything. Now if you contacted Jim (site owner) and nicely told him that you were the original writer of that information, and provided something to back up you claims, I'm sure that he'd be happy to add you as a contributor to that page.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok I found 2800 performance.com on the way back machine, and your A4LD page appears to be the same as the info in our 2.8L conversion page. In fact from what I've read so far there are only a few differences. Whether you do it or not, I'm probably going to request that Jim add you as a contributor to the page. I don't want the info to be removed as it belongs there, but the writer should also get credit.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've compared all three sites and it's apparent (to me) that the transmission center copied your work, and that whoever posted the article that was put in the TRS page copied form the both of you. Aside from a slight (and I mean very slight) rewording most of the items on both pages matched yours. The few items on the TRS page that didn't match yours (mainly the pressure range for the pressure switch) matched the transmission center's page perfectly.

offroadingranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
JoshT, TRS should be proud to have you as an advocate! :derisive:

Why are you coming on here accusing this site of plagiarism now.
I didn't discover until recently that TRS's Duraspark Conversion page had been updated and that my A4LD write up had been copied and included.

If you're referring to just transmission part, although the way you worded it you seem to be referring to the whole page, it may be so.
I was referring specifically to the A4LD info. You are correct though, I realize after re-reading my post it does appear that I'm referring to the entire Duraspark Conversion page. I will edit my original post.

and you aught to be glad the info is still out there somewhere helping people
I am and if you go back to my original post you'll see that I said:
"No biggie, I posted the info because I hoped that it would be helpful, and I will assume that it must be by the way it's being spread around."

Ok I found 2800 performance.com on the way back machine
Really? Where, the site has been down for a few months now.

Whether you do it or not, I'm probably going to request that Jim add you as a contributor to the page.
I'm not going to, it's not that important to me. I posted this thread in a moment of frustration, I'm over it. Besides being given credit as a contributor implies that the contribution was given voluntarily. No one asked for my permission to use my article, it was just copied without my knowledge.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL......like wiring a duraspark hasn't been covered in 3000 pages, or is remotely difficult.

I'll assume this guy has WAY too much time on his hands.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Really? Where, the site has been down for a few months now.

I'm not going to, it's not that important to me. I posted this thread in a moment of frustration, I'm over it. Besides being given credit as a contributor implies that the contribution was given voluntarily. No one asked for my permission to use my article, it was just copied without my knowledge.

I found it on the Wayback Machine, it's an internet archiving site.
Internet Archive Wayback Machine - www.2800Performance.com

First time I check this forum in months, and when I saw your thread accusing this site of plagiarism I got frustrated as well. That is the reason I went replied the way I did, and the reason I dug up the info.

Giving credit as a source for the info does not imply that it was voluntary. (yes I know I said contributor and not source) It's merely stating that the information originated from 2800performance.com and was not written by the person who put it into the tech article.

Whatever way it's looked at, since you don't appear to be holding a grudge against us for having it posted I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
LOL......like wiring a duraspark hasn't been covered in 3000 pages, or is remotely difficult.

I'll assume this guy has WAY too much time on his hands.
If you were referring to me..

Yes, I do have WAY to much time on my hands.

offroadingranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I found it on the Wayback Machine, it's an internet archiving site.
Internet Archive Wayback Machine - www.2800Performance.com

Giving credit as a source for the info does not imply that it was voluntary. (yes I know I said contributor and not source) It's merely stating that the information originated from 2800performance.com and was not written by the person who put it into the tech article.

Whatever way it's looked at, since you don't appear to be holding a grudge against us for having it posted I guess I shouldn't worry about it.
Posting this thread was worth-while if for no other reason than learning about the existence of internet archives, that Wayback Machine is pretty cool. :icon_thumby:

IMHO Using copied information is acceptable if it's clearly indicated as such, or presented as a quote, and if the source is credited. Alternatively whoever copied my article could have simply given a brief description and linked to it.

No grudge, hey I appreciate that you made the effort to try and confirm if my claim was true rather than just disputing it without any contrary evidence.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see a "You can also see this article HERE" with a link to the transmission center article at the end of the article you are claiming as plegarized.

Looks to me that the TC article is plegarized from your article, and TRS borrowed it with them even providing a link back to them thinking it was originally theirs.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to be OT, but that 2800 performance site looks pretty cool. Bring it back??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals