• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

twin turbo 2.9..... help

sliding 2.9 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm planing on twin turbo charging my 2.9 i'm thinking on doing a rmu. i'm thinking of getting the turbos from a nissan 300zx. i was told to run 5 to 8 psi i want to kno how to run it and how the boost works. i kno that i'm going to have to have to custom fab pipes for the turbos andi have a general idea on how to go about doing this but details will be greatly apprecated.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you will need oil feed and return lines, and will need to put a fitting in the oil pan for the return line. if the turbo is also water cooled you need to run water lines as well. 2.9's computers are not set up for turbo. you can get a 2.9 Mass Air Flow computer from a 1990 2.9 california ranger and that might work. you can read about it in the tech articles. or you could get a megasquirt setup. you dont need twin turbos for 5-8 pounds of boost. you could probably use one turbo from a t-bird turbocoupe. you are going to want to do a lot more reading about turbo set ups. in theory they are pretty simple, but actually doing it gets a bit trickier. don't think that it is going to be either easy or cheap, because while some ways to power are cheaper than others, there are no shortcuts. but if you really want a turbo 2.9, go for it. it can be done and has been done at least once.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you'd probably need to wind up your motor pretty high to get the boost to come on with the 300z turbos.maybe a single like davis says would be better? it would fit in the engine compartment easier too...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I agree, One turbo will suffice in this case, One off of a TurboCoupe or just a general T3 or so, you'll want to use either the MAF, (although i'm not sure if I will be able to account for the xtra air) A megasquirt sound slike the best plan.
Here is one, may give you an idea, you can see the MAF sensor on that one, so i'm assuming it worked fine

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hear the MAF PCM would work for something like his app, but haven't tried it on a turbo application myself. The MS itself is a little more than the MAF conversion, but you have more control. Might be difficult getting it all configured, I might get the stock engine running good on it first before throwing on a turbo.

You'll have to completely rewire the engine with a MS, or I believe there might be an aftermarket device that allows the 60 pin Ford harness to hook up to the MS. For MAF conversion, only need to go through the wiring (make change if needed), add 2 pins to the computer harness, find a MAS, and wire it up.

My MAF computer was $80, pins/wiring/plug free from 5.0L HO wiring harness, $35 for a new MAS, + other small electrical stuff. You'll want EVTMs from Helm Inc. too (or have Ford make you copies of the same thing at the dealership).

If you went the MAF route, I would advise you to at least get an air/fuel ratio gauge for the o2 sensor so you know if you're leaning it out (so you don't accidentially fry it).

Only reason that I might consider an MS is because it can work with just about anything. When the 2.9L is done, you can use the computer on something else.

Pete

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Good luck, you're like the elevintybillionth person who says they're going to force induct their 2.9, haven't seen one person on here who's done it yet :rolleyes: I'll send you $50 if you actually do it, I swear.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Psychopete, you had one, right? But then again, you didn't come on here and say you were going to do it, you just did it.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good luck, you're like the elevintybillionth person who says they're going to force induct their 2.9, haven't seen one person on here who's done it yet I'll send you $50 if you actually do it, I swear.
Eleventy-billion isn't even a real number.

Yet.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Psychopete, you had one, right? But then again, you didn't come on here and say you were going to do it, you just did it.
I just had an S/C setup, never installed it. I wanted to lower the compression ratio, put forged pistons in ($600ish), have the rods shot peened, and have ARP bolts installed in the rods too. Was going to get an under drive pulley for the blower for more boost.

Changed my mind, and that's not a bad thing. It couldn't have been much faster (if at all) than a 5 speed 5.0L Mustang, with hardly any room left to grow.

But I do keep low key. I didn't start talking about my 5.0L swap until I had a 5.0L setting in my garage... :) Also have parts/plans for other stuff, but that's further down the road when I have the $$.

Pete

Edit:

Before that, I had an engine that was supposed to be a 400M, but later figured out it was a 351M by the marking on the crank. I traded the BB C6, 351M (somewhat built up - and did run), tons of parts from the donor for the '87 roller motor w/ 1.6 roller rockers, new roller lifters, and parts from the donor.

Last edited:

sliding 2.9 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much is the ms system and some of the other parts mentioned in the above posts?

1989GT

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I see 4 options here.

#1 Stand alone EFI such as mega squirt.

#2 Piggy back the stock ECU. Again you could use MS and just have the MS control fuel and spark. This would leave the function of the check engine light as well as a few other things. But give you fuel control over the fuel and timing maps.

#3 Convert to Mass air. Tuning could be done by adding larger injectors and calibrated MAF sensor, a boost reference Fuel pressure regulator and locking the timing.

#4 Convert to Mass air and have a chip burned for it by a tuner.

Things you have to consider are your own level of knowledge. Using mega squirt is going to require you to have and intimate understanding of engines. You'll be creating your own fuel and timing maps, setting cold start enrichment among other things. But there is tons of support and information. So if you're willing to read and learn and do research then this may not be a problem for you.

Setting up the car using mass air won't leave as much work involved in tuning. You can hook a wide band and go make some WOT runs and tune it on the street/track. Or have a tuner burn a chip on the dyno which will result in better overall drivability as apposed to just locking the timing.

One thing you have to remember though is if you tune it yourself you better know what you are doing. Because stock parts + boost can = a pile of worthless junk quick.

I really like MS, and plan on using it on a project some day. It's true DIY and relatively inexpensive. But using factory Mass air has it's advantages in the fact that you're not starting from scratch, and the EEC-IV ECU is pretty adaptive.

Just my$.02:icon_cheers:

dieselboy740

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
go to the junk yard and get two volvo Mitsubishi 13c turbos. Thats what i was going to do to my bII. Im running a megasquirt computer on one of my cars. The 13c is a decent sized turbo to use as a twin set up. As a single its too small though it would boost almost instantly on a 2.3l.

sliding 2.9 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would any t3/t4 turbo work?

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to leave here...And be here....

www.theturboforums.com

And when you get there, don't post..just read...ALOT!...in the DIY section...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals