• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seafoam?

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
iv heard about the stuff on here
so
does it work well on 2.8s
will it help out my oil burning problem(valve seals)?
will it end my lifter tick?
is it worth it?
whaer can i get it?

any help is greatly apreaciated
thanks

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
really, this isnt the place to talk about seafoam, there are many firm believers in the stuff, and many people that will tell u its the devil incarnate.....

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Think you'll find that there are those that don't believe in those miracle products in a bottle.

And there will be those who will place those products on a pedastal and worship them.

Whenever I am asked about some of those products I will say this: "Some of them work, but it's much like doing CPR on a dead guy, because it don't really matter how hard you try, you can't revive a guy with no head."

So my answer is that for some products if an additive can fix it, some of them will, if it is beyond any additive it's a waste. I've never used SeaFoam.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
On the 2.8, it has ruber valve seals, and they wear out. A cleaner like Seafoam isn't going to magically restore the rubber, sorry. They need to be replaced. I had the same problem on my 85 BII.

Seafoam is a cleaner, so if there is extra crap in your motor that shouldn't be there, it'll clean it out. But, if there is extra crud, you need more than a "good cleaning." It means something is broken, and is leaving the extra crud....
EX: To get crabon buildup off pistons, you gotta use a razor blade....

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok iv also heard about lifter ticks fixed with the stuff
anyone ever see this with a 2.8

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Remember the 2.8 uses solid lifters. The valves need adjustment from time to time. Check and set the valve lash. Should help the valve ticking some.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
An opinion on additives.
We used to use a can of Casite now and then to keep an engine clean and it seemed to work. I put some in an old Chevy once and it screwed it up. I think it was because it loosed up a bunch of built-up crud and that caused problems.
In other words, if you start from when it was new, you know the history; if you start with a used engine then you are just guessing.
I can't think of any chemical fix that would be a long lasting fix. For instance a power steering leak fix slows down the leak, but you will be buying a new pump soon. That's the voice of experience talking here.

For a Casite history see:
http://www.casite.com/section.asp?categoryID=17

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adjust the valves and replace the valve seals seals in one fowl swoop. You will have the valve cover to do one or the other anyway.

Valve cover gaskets and valve seals should be had for under $30, a haynes/chilton manual on how to do it is $20 and will cover many other projects as well.

Last edited:

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lifter tick being solved with seafoam usually only applies to hydraulic lifters. Since they are solid and lash is adjusted up top, I do not see it making any difference.

As far as the rest of it goes, seafoam is supposed to clean the crankcase, heads, pistons of oil deposits. This is good or bad. Heavy deposits might mean you start clogging filters or worse, the pickup screen in the oil pan. If you know the engine is fairly clean and has been rebuilt recently (newer seals) I'd consider running some seafoam through just before an oil change and then using synthetic. If this is an old crusty engine that you were thinking about tearing out anyway it might be worth a try.

Whatever you do, I'd advise against "motor honey". This is the stuff that "quiets the engine" and looks like thick motor oil. This might have worked 40 years ago for loose tolerance engines and poor fuel and oil quality but I wouldn't use it now.

If you need a freshen, you can get a rering / rebearing / regasket kit on eBay for $150. That's what I'm doing now.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Motor Honey and STP are thick oils that coat the parts in such a way that it doesn't run off when the engine is sitting. That helps keep down wear on start-ups. I've been using it for years in Pintos, Cadillacs and everything in between. Most of my vehicles get a lot of city miles with stop and go traffic and many starts per day.
I remember one mechanic not liking it because it was hard to wash off when rebuilding an engine - exactly why I like it.
Just don't over-do it if you have a newer tight clearance engine, but a 2.8 isn't a high-tech modern engine; it doesn't even have hydraulic lifters.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
personally i like RESOTRE, in the silver cans, i swear by that shit, and it actually works in newer engines aswell....

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
personally i like RESOTRE, in the silver cans, i swear by that shit, and it actually works in newer engines aswell....
i use it too,every oil change.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Any type of "additive" or "miracle in a can" usually receives criticism based on each individual's personal experience and alot of it out there is experience from it being used in one vehicle. When I bought my 4.0 Ranger I noticed that it was making a loud knocking noise which was most likely due to carbon buildup from my personal experience with seafoam. I saw a post on here about someone using the stuff so I sucked up a bottle of it through my brake booster line and once the black/greyish smoke cleared what do you know it actually worked, no more knocking noise! That is my only experience with the stuff and it solved my problem but I wouldn't swear up and down that it's the greatest thing in the world because I have no experience with it otherwise. I do know that I have had mixed results with Lucas oil treatment in the past. I have used it to quiet up several rear ends, and some transmissions but I would NEVER use it in an engine that is subjected to colder starting temperatures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals