• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

know any thing about suppressors?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wanna buy a suppressor for my .270 savage model 110. i believe i need a larger bore suppressor for a 7.62. if thats the case this should work

https://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-stainless-phantom

how does mounting work? i just have my barrel tapped to allow the suppressor to screw on? of course at a reputable shop.

and yes suppressors are legal in idaho.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
7.62 suppressor will work on anything from a .223 to .308 and some are rated up to 300 WinMag so you could put it on your .270 and run it on other rifles as well.
Depending on manufacture you can get a direct thread (threads on barrel) which is more permanent or a quick detach which will mate to a mount that will be threaded on your barrel. Quick detach can be more expensive if you are buying several different mounts for different rifles, but is nice for different profile barrels which may not be possible to have turned to the same thread size. Either way you will have to have your barrel threaded, and the threads must be concentric to the barrel or you will get baffle strikes which will change your poi and likely ruin the can.

I run the TBAC 30P-1 and highly recommend it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I suppose you could get the barrel and suppressor threaded. But also a note, if you want it to actually be quiet you're going to need subsonic ammo.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
x2 to what the other two guys have said.

i just started paperwork to get a suppressor for my .308 rem 700. i went with a screw on one. i've having the barrel cut down and thread to 5/8x24 at my smith right now.

the quick detachable models can also work with some muzzle brakes or flash hiders. the muzzle brake or flash hider is threaded onto the barrel, then the QD suppressor screws or clamps onto the flash hider or muzzle brake. surefire makes some. kinda like this.

the diameter of your barrel will determine if it can be threaded. if you've got a sporter barrel, there may not be enough material to thread it.

the only thing that sucks about suppressors is the damn 6 month wait to get them! lol. mine should be here in august sometime

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Keep in mind also that there is a $200 fee, at least in texas.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Keep in mind also that there is a $200 fee, at least in texas.
yep, like that anywhere. gotta give the BATF their cut. you'd think for $200 they could speed up the process.

it's still cheap though. my suppressor was $499, so for $700 you can get a suppressor, if it's legal in your state.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
yep, like that anywhere. gotta give the BATF their cut. you'd think for $200 they could speed up the process.

it's still cheap though. my suppressor was $499, so for $700 you can get a suppressor, if it's legal in your state.
Lol, I want to get one for my AR-15, do some silent pig hunting. Glad you can now hunt anything with suppressors.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I suppose you could get the barrel and suppressor threaded. But also a note, if you want it to actually be quiet you're going to need subsonic ammo.
The suppressor will either come threaded, some companies let you pick threading options... Or it will be adapter/quick disconnect ready and fit the rifle on a muzzlebrake/flashhider as 88_Eddie said.

Subsonic .22lr and .300blk are about as close to 'hollywood quiet' as you can get, but subsonic ammo is far from ideal for hunting at a distance. Suppressed AR's or any semi-auto will be louder than a bolt gun in the same caliber, but will still allow for enough db reduction for hunting and plinking without ear protection.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
The suppressor will either come threaded, some companies let you pick threading options... Or it will be adapter/quick disconnect ready and fit the rifle on a muzzlebrake/flashhider as 88_Eddie said.

Subsonic .22lr and .300blk are about as close to 'hollywood quiet' as you can get, but subsonic ammo is far from ideal for hunting at a distance. Suppressed AR's or any semi-auto will be louder than a bolt gun in the same caliber, but will still allow for enough db reduction for hunting and plinking without ear protection.
Yep, even .22 isn't that quiet. But I actually saw some .22's that are primer propelled. They supposedly are super quiet, but it would probably go right out the end of the barrel and straight down. Lol

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You guys are lucky, on top of all the paperwork and fees, I had to go form an LLC. because the local CLEO is a douche that will not sign off for suppressors.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately, you cant hunt with a suppressor in NC. some BS about poachers using them to illegally harvest game. which is stupid because because the deer population in this state is out of control to the point that some cities/towns allow archery hunting in the city limits during hunting season. luckily where i go hunting backs up to several enormous logging tracts (the ones from that show "swamp loggers" actually) and i never see anyone else while i'm out there.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I mean, the best use of a suppressor for hunting would be for varmints. When I hunt I'm only getting 1 deer at a time. And if I wanted to kill more they freeze anyways.. But I guess it makes you that extra bit cooler if you use that suppressor. Come up with some stories...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, even .22 isn't that quiet. But I actually saw some .22's that are primer propelled. They supposedly are super quiet, but it would probably go right out the end of the barrel and straight down. Lol
aguila makes some like that, they make absolutely no noise. BB guns make more noise than they do. i had a bullet get lodged in the barrel once.

You guys are lucky, on top of all the paperwork and fees, I had to go form an LLC. because the local CLEO is a douche that will not sign off for suppressors.
i had to form a trust to get mine (i guess that's the same thing as a LLC). the sheriff in my county will not sign off for one either, he doesnt think civilians need them.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
aguila makes some like that, they make absolutely no noise. BB guns make more noise than they do. i had a bullet get lodged in the barrel once.
Lol they don't even come out of your barrel, there comedy joke bullets.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry forlack of reply been workin alot. most my shots are under 200 yards. haw far is subsonic ammo good too? what good will the supressor do without subsonic. i dont need silent just wanna hunt without er plugs. and does any one know if the atk store will sell subsonic ammo? guess i could go in and check bit i hardly go to thst plant location

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals