• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A status Update on my AR

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A status update on my AR project. I decided to make this a XM177E1/Commando clone. So Vietnam tribute basically. Im finally happy with it. I traded my factory Bushmaster M4A3 HBAR upper for a complete early 70s Colt Commando upper. Sadly its still mounted on a not era correct A2 style lower with a plastic 6 position collapsible stock but thats ok only an extreme M16 historian would know the difference. The original stock would have been an aluminum 2 position collapsible. So the current stats are a DI gas system, chrome lined 1:12 twist 5.56 NATO 11.5 inch barrel with a welded on 4.5 inch slot flash hider and era correct round reinforced handguard. No Shell deflector and a wheel type windage adjustment with a forward assist. The magazine shown is a Surplus 20rd GI mag. I need to get a M16 Bolt Carrier Group, and a green nylon sling. I plan on mounting a few modern features as well. Such as a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, a mag pouch on the buttstock, and a more comfortable grip. Im slowly getting the "Black Rifle Disease"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a fun project. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
why the hell would you go with such a tiny ass barrel and a huge flash suppressor?

you're crippling the muzzle velocity and gaining no length advantage at all.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
why the hell would you go with such a tiny ass barrel and a huge flash suppressor?

go to your local barnes and noble, find the "military history" section, find the sub-section with books about vietnam, then find the biggest book you can find about vietnam and thumb through it. once you're done with that, read the OP again.

So Vietnam tribute basically.
then explain how that brake reduces muzzle velocity. as long as the gas is leaving in a uniform manner, i dont see how it would reduce it

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

While your at it would you like to fuss about the twist rate cause I cant use the heavier bullets? This is how the original Colt Commando was set up, which is what I wanted. I would like to have the 11.5 inch barrel but I dont feel like having to go NFA and if I was worried about velocity Id just build a 20 or 24 inch full size rifle. The 16 inch HBARs are just to damn barrel heavy especially after you over complicate it with a bunch of tacticool crap and especially for whats supposed to be a lightweight carbine.

go to your local barnes and noble, find the "military history" section, find the sub-section with books about vietnam, then find the biggest book you can find about vietnam and thumb through it. once you're done with that, read the OP again.

then explain how that brake reduces muzzle velocity. as long as the gas is leaving in a uniform manner, i dont see how it would reduce it
and do what this guy said

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

that's not a brake.

because there isn't a tight seal between bullet and barrel after the first 11.5 inches.

the gun is 16 inches anyway, 11.5 inches of barrel and 4.5 inches of brake does not provide the motive force of 16 inches of barrel.

in fact, it's entirely possible that turbulence in the flash suppressor would hinder stability, though I'm not quite sure how that one is set up.

yes it's a tribute, but it could be an equally accurate tribute with a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel, since the Vietnam rifles didn't have the huge-ass flash suppressor on them.

hopps

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
barrel length does not mean accuracy. It's actually easier to make a shorter barrel straighter.

Alot of people run 10.5-12'' barrels, ya it drops the velocity a couple hundred feet per second, but it can still shoot moa to 400 yards, and works at closer ranges.

the flash hider makes it "period" and also not an NFA/SBR. Sadly it doesn't "flash suppress" any better than a vortex blackout but it is lighter than a 16'' hbar.

I think its a cool project, good luck with it.

And alot of car15s did have that "huge ass" flash suppressor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
barrel length does not mean accuracy. It's actually easier to make a shorter barrel straighter.

Alot of people run 10.5-12'' barrels, ya it drops the velocity a couple hundred feet per second, but it can still shoot moa to 400 yards, and works at closer ranges.
A lot more people run more than 12" barrels on rifles. In fact, I think I see more pistols with barrels in that neighborhood than I do rifles.

motodog 57

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice job with your tribute. the reason for the huge ass flash hider is so your bayonet can be mounted on the rifle i should know my unit issued the carbine to all the drivers back in the day before the M4 . mil-spec required all rifles to be able to have a bayonet fixed to them . You will see some in pictures that have just the bird cage but this was done at unit level for mission requirements

Last edited:

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice job with your tribute. the reason for the huge ass flash hider is so your bayonet can be mounted on the rifle i should know my unit issued the carbine to all the drivers back in the day before the M4 . mil-spec required all rifles to be able to have a bayonet fixed to them . You will see some in pictures that have just the bird cage but this was done at unit level for mission requirements
Really? thats cool. What was your opinion of the Rifle at that time?

motodog 57

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was very happy with the rifle , the shorter length is much better when you are getting in and out of vehicles and you where the center of attention if you had one , everybody wanted to check it out . the Accuracy was good for a short barreled rifle it could do the standard qualification , targets from 25 to 300 m but you had to be good to hit the 300m target , lots of drop off . the problem was with feeding. The shorter gas system threw the timing off and the bolt would cycle so fast on full auto that the mag couldn't keep up and sometimes the bolt would slam forward and not take a round with it. so you learned to do sports (slap,pull,observe,release,tap,shoot) very well.You wont have to deal with that shooting semi . all the tacticool people will have a fit that you don't have a flat top and all the cool stuff hanging off it, but it will be light and fun to shoot and that's the point isn't it

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was very happy with the rifle , the shorter length is much better when you are getting in and out of vehicles and you where the center of attention if you had one , everybody wanted to check it out . the Accuracy was good for a short barreled rifle it could do the standard qualification , targets from 25 to 300 m but you had to be good to hit the 300m target , lots of drop off . the problem was with feeding. The shorter gas system threw the timing off and the bolt would cycle so fast on full auto that the mag couldn't keep up and sometimes the bolt would slam forward and not take a round with it. so you learned to do sports (slap,pull,observe,release,tap,shoot) very well.You wont have to deal with that shooting semi . all the tacticool people will have a fit that you don't have a flat top and all the cool stuff hanging off it, but it will be light and fun to shoot and that's the point isn't it
Yes it is. A Carbine shouldnt weigh 25 lbs. Kill yourself if you had to carry it all day. Back when I had all the cool stuff, I carried it for Halloween as It went with my costume and I didnt wanna buy a airsoft and it killed me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals