• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power and MPG?

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone done a duraspark conversion with a fuel injection swap on a 2.8? the reason im asking is cuz I wanna know is i want to know if it will increase power and mileage. these two seem to be the most popular mods and I was wondering if i could combine the two.

I have a 1984 Ranger base model 2.8 reman 2150carb, 5 speed 151,000mi. I am going to do the FI swap for sure. would it be better to use an MSD ignition unit instead? What will give the best combination of power and mileage?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An EFI system would probably loose MPG on the 2.8. It depends on how the system is set up. There is no possible way that you would gain both power and mileage. That has been proven. You would gain driveability, no doubt about that.
MSD uses a Duraspark pick up, And costs a bunch more. The only real benefit is the roller bearings instead of the bronze bushings. An MSD box (offroad 6) would be better than a duraspark box.
The factory systems use a hall effect dist like a Mallory unilte. The first thing you need to do is find a F.I. system that will work on a 2.8 and see what kind of ignition they recommend.
OR, You could upgrade to a 4.0 with all its wiring and fuel system.

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone done a duraspark conversion with a fuel injection swap on a 2.8? the reason im asking is cuz I wanna know is i want to know if it will increase power and mileage. these two seem to be the most popular mods and I was wondering if i could combine the two.

I have a 1984 Ranger base model 2.8 reman 2150carb, 5 speed 151,000mi. I am going to do the FI swap for sure. would it be better to use an MSD ignition unit instead? What will give the best combination of power and mileage?
you have same setup i have,right down to mileage.i believe there is a writeup in tech library on 3.8 fuel "infection" swap,they say it is pretty easy.i'm going duraspark-holley myself,don't care what others say,i like my carbs.good luck.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
There is no possible way that you would gain both power and mileage.
well, no necessarily. increasing efficiency could technically provide an improvement in power and economy...and fuel injection is definitely more efficient than carburation.

does the improvement warrant the hassle of a F.I. swap? probably not. for about the same amount of work, a guy could swap in a 2.9, 3.0, or 4.0.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I could get my hands on a 4.0 V6 low mileage and tranny with it for less than 400 i would in a heartbeat but I cant afford it as I am a student with loans and stuff. these mods are something I could do in a weekend or on a break. I am only getting about 16 to 17 mpg and I drive 40+ miles a day. I need better mileage and I cant afford anything else. buy this stuff piece by piece and wait until I can do it.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How difficult is it to remove the wiring harness through the firewall? Also, Is there a main wiring connector into the computer or is it built in?

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
In my humble opinion you are wasting time and money trying to put this much time and money in a truck that is 23 years old with 151,000 miles on the engine. I understand being a student, and being poor, but you would be better off putting the $500 tword a solid used car, ie vw, civic, saturn, mazada all four I have worked on and had well over 200,000 miles and still getting ~30mpg, and probably smoke your ranger off the line, cause they smoke mine. The 2.8l engine is a great small truck engine with a lot of torque for it size! I get ~19 mph on the highway, with 33 and 4.10, and no overdrive, but its no econo 1.8l. Just my two cents before you spend all your money for a FI set up, just to get an extra 1-2 mpg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals