• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EVERYONE'S opinion needed

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Flex Fuel vs. Non Flex Fuel........

Post your experiences and opinions regarding

1. Differences in how the two run.

2. Differences in MPG.

3. Idle Quality.

4. Engine Life.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you're a corn farmer/ethanol producer and want to support agricultural subsidies, as well as turning food production into fuel production, then buy flex-fuel. I get at least 10% less MPGs with just 10% ethanol in the gas now. New EPA regs now allow up to 15% so that will mean even less MPGs. Ethanol has less energy than gas, so less power. No flex-fuel stations if my area, so no choice here - gladly. I can't see any advantages.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I eat corn. I don't put it in my tank. lol.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
whoa......you guys talk about the ethanol gas like it sucks....ok so it has less energy in the fuel...so it burns more but when they mix ethanol with it it is cheaper. when i was in LV rugular gas(normal full gas) was about 3.20 to 3.40. now i drove cross country and through the midwest states they had normal regular gas and ethanol midgrade. I had some problems with pinging in LV which is understandable so i was using midgrade, it was cheaper than regular. Only about 2.70-2.80ish. I still got 20mpg while towing a 5x8 uhaul completly loaded and the bed loaded with crap and my quad. Even through the crappy colorado and utah mountains i got 19-20mpg on my flex 3.0L. So it may be abit worse on mileage but it is cheaper. I haven't had a problem so i like it. and it makes the truck run better in my opinion.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run my truck on e-85 almost 90% of the time. It runs much better than it does on regular 87 octane, and I can't remember the last time it pinged. I've been running it on e-85 for 92,000 miles now (truck has 192,xxx), and other than one bad fuel injector in the beginning, I haven't experienced a single issue. The lower cost vs decreased fuel economy breakdown has been virtually equal for me compared to gasoline. So for my money, I'll continue to use what makes my truck run better, reduces wear and tear on the engine, and supports American farmers rather than some middle eastern shiek. Plus, the flex fuel capabilities give me the freedom to choose I want, and what's more American than that?

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, this was not supposed to be a fuel discussion but rather a discussion about the differences between the two engines.

However someone mentioned the reduced MPG but some seem are misled about E-85. Your engine will devolope MORE power on E-85 even though it does have a lower BTU per pound than gas.

I am really wanting to see what the differences are in the running characteristics between the two. ON REGULAR GAS ONLY. I did fail to specify that in the first place. This is due to the fact that there are only two E-85 stations in all of eastern of Virginia.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
The mileage is definitely lower with E-85, and in my experience with my Taurus you are better served to not mix it...

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
As far as i know there arent really any diffrences between the 2 besides the e-85 friendly gaskets and such, module and computer ability to learn to e-85. the one just lets you use that fuel and not rot out the insides

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only physical differences between flex and non flex vulcans are the heads. Flex fuel 3.0's have smaller, kidney shaped combustion chambers, which slightly raise the compresion ratio of the engines. Because of the increased compression, flex fuel engines tend to ping more on regular unleaded than a standard fuel 3.0.

There are other diferences in the fuel delivery system (materials, injector flow rate, etc), and pcm, but the engine is nearly identical besides the cylinder head castings.

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody feel that the Flex engines run rougher or just not as good as the non-flex engines on 87 octane gas?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Because of the increased compression, flex fuel engines tend to ping more on regular unleaded than a standard fuel 3.0.
This basically means they run rougher on regular unleaded than a standard 3.0:icon_thumby:

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
I've never driven a non FF Ranger so I can't comment on that aspect. However, my truck idles smooth as silk, has decent power considering it's only a 3.0. Mileage is good, I'm averaging just over 19mpg on winter blend gas in cold weather using 4 wheel drive on occasion. I've got as good as 20mpg on E-85 all highway. The truck runs noticeably stronger on corn, unfortunately I only run it in the summer so it runs 'normal' when the weather turns cold.

One nice thing about Flex Fuel is the cleaning properties of E-85. No need to run seafoam or injector cleaner if Ethanol is available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals