• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 2.3, crankshaft gear stuck, can't remove

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Posted this in the Mazda section and got good advice which helped me, but now am at the stage where I'm stuck. It's a 1994 Mazda B2300 with a Ford 2.3 engine. I'm trying to replace the front crankshaft seal, and have removed everything that is bolted on the crankshaft (pulley wheel and harmonic balancer) but the sprocket is too tight to get off. I can't use a harmonic puller or a gear puller because the sprocket is too close up against the block to get normal jaws behind it. It has no bolt holes for a harmonic puller. It also has a metal belt guide bolted on behind and around the sprocket which also hinders the use of a regular puller. I bought a thin-jawed gear puller from Advance Auto, and even then I had to grind down the metal on the jaws. I was able to get it behind the gear, but the jaws were so thin that they just bent back and popped off the gear. The truck has about 155,000 miles on it, and it's very likely the gear has never been removed.
Two possible options I read about from other people who had the same problem were:
1. heating with a torch, or
2. breaking the gear off

is heating it a bad idea? I'd hate to damage the temper of the crank and also get any other seals too hot (if it has any in close proximity). Breaking it off seems like the best option, but how in the world do you break the thing off? I guess drill some holes and use a chisel to break through the rest of the metal? For that matter, maybe drill two holes and tap them, and then use a harmonic puller? There isn't too much metal to play with, hate to damage the crank with a drill bit and chisel. Whatever's the easiest at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for any help

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Best thing to do is go to an online library and look up the chiltons section for your vehicle, if you cant find the answer here. Can you post up a pic? Have you tried the steering wheel puller, its mildly different from a gear puller if i remember correctly and a little narrower around the arms. Heating it will work, and it 'shouldnt' mess with the temper of the steel, just heat the gear and not the crank as best you can so only the gear expands, as long as it dont heat any more than necessarry to get it off otherwise you wont get it back on, I also recommend going to the junkyard and finding another.....just in case. ABSOLUTELY dont break it. You take a chance of damaging the crank, and that you dont wanna replace. trust me.

reggioisme

June 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
try a pry bar on the back of the gear and put some lube in front of the gear and try working it back and forth

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals