• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where is OBD2 plug on 1996 b2300?

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've done a ton of searching on the web and in my Haynes manual, but am only more confused. I'm not sure where the OBD2 plug is on my 1996 B2300. I looked under the dash and found what may be the plug but it's unlabeled and only has two pins available in it. Also, isn't the check engine light supposed to come on normally when the ignition key is turned on (without starting the motor)? From what I've read, it's supposed to, but mine doesn't come on at all. It would be nice to access the computer to see if any sensors have problems or whatever, since my truck gets awful fuel economy, but if I can't access it then I'm getting rid of the thing. I've had it with newer vehicles, they are getting harder and harder for the homeowner to fix.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
A 96 will be borderline on whether it is OBD2 or not, most likely not. They started full on with OBD2 in 97, with only a handful of cars having it in 95-96. IF it is OBD2 for some reason, the test port will be on the drivers side, just past the lower dash panel, and look like this.

Sorry the pic isn't any better, but that electrical plug is what you're looking for. This picture is of a 97 mazda b2300 OBD2 port, but it is in a different vehicle, so placement won't look like the picture.
And IF your truck is OBD1, the port should be under the hood on the passenger side apron. (sorry no pic)

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. Don't know what the story is with my truck, can't find either OBD1 or OBD2 connectors where they are supposed to be. I'm just going to sell the thing...next truck I get will definitely not have EFI and the least amount of sensors and electronics possible, preferably none at all like the 1969 Chevy C10, in-line 6, 3 speed standard I missed my chance on getting.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have not heard of a 1996 that did not have a obd-II some manufacters started puting it in in 95. on mine it is at the bottom of the dash below the steering column it is suppose to have a rubber cover over it. it is to the left of my hood release. You don't have a obd-I thye ended in 95. I might go as far to say that if you dont have a obd-II connecter you dont have a 1996 truck.........

kp3ft

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have not heard of a 1996 that did not have a obd-II some manufacters started puting it in in 95. on mine it is at the bottom of the dash below the steering column it is suppose to have a rubber cover over it. it is to the left of my hood release. You don't have a obd-I thye ended in 95. I might go as far to say that if you dont have a obd-II connecter you dont have a 1996 truck.........
And you would be absolutely correct...
I'm such a dummy, I looked at the title and its a 1994. Anyway, I still can't find OBD1 connector, it's not where Haynes says it should be. Weird...I found a connector with a white plug in it under the dash that looks an awful lot like OBD1 connector in the Haynes book, but not identical. Plus, there's no "Self Test" terminal to connect to pin #2 on the OBD1 connector, to check the diagnostics via the check engine light.

Last edited:

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You are looking for the EEC Test Plug

It is under the hood, driver's side next to the power distribution box. ( THe black brick shaped object) There are actually three plugs. The two on the right are part of the test connection. The Hanes Manual for the '94 Ranger/ B Series has instructions and all the codes.

[/IMG]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals