• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wire amp to use factory speaker wires?

MikeMcC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Gentlemen,

I am in the process of installing a 4 channel amp in my truck. The puropse of wiring this amp is to power all 4 door spears inside the truck. Initially I had planned to use new speaker cable to all 4 speakers. Upon actually trying to run the wire I have pretty much given up. It's a huge pain in the rear to route the wire through the factory cable routing.

I have looked all over every ranger forum out there and I can't find this answer. I want to wire it up to the factory speakers. I was wondering if cut the "factory wiring harness to head unit harness" and wire my speakers into the corresponding wires on the factory wiring harness adapter end, will that work?

Again I'm talking about cutting up the head unit to factory adapter and wiring the speaker cables from my amp to the factory wiring harness adaptor that would normally adapt to a pioneer HU. That would in effect do the same thing just use the factory wiring correct?

Once again I appreciate all the help!

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mike, I have my jl 300/4 wired that way, i ran my wires up behind the head unit and connected them into the factory wiring that run to the speakers. Some people argue that the factory wires are junk etc...it will not make a noticeable sound difference. unless you plan on entering sound competition. Also it makes for a clean easier install and easier to return to stock if you desire. hope that helps.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i hate cutting factory wiring harnesses....but yes, it would work as long as you have a small enough amp that you can mount it somewhere up by the dash (behind the glove box maybe?).

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i hate cutting factory wiring harnesses....but yes, it would work as long as you have a small enough amp that you can mount it somewhere up by the dash (behind the glove box maybe?).
He's not cutting the factory wiring harness, just the adaptor that plugs into the factory harness.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i ran my 100wx4 to the oem factory lines works great.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking about doing this myself. Started installing a component set and trying to figure out how I was going to get speaker wire into the door. I've drilled holes in cars before doing this and would prefer not to have to do that.

I was hoping to splice in somewhere under the dash near the respective doors so I don't have to pull my head unit back out (it's pretty deep and was a real PITA to get all the way in with all the wiring, not to mention I already put my dash all back together), but I couldn't figure out where the wire bundle went from the door...it heads up forward inside the fender like it's on it's way to the engine compartment.

But if that's my only option I guess out it comes...

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yes you can use the speaker wires that go to your deck. thats how i have mine setup. i just snipped the speaker wires from the adapter harness. then ran some new speaker wire to the amp. the stock 18 guage wire can take that power just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals