• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pulse plugs vs. Spark plugs?

cisco kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been hearing a little about pulse plugs. It sounds like they are a pretty simple upgrade, but I was wondering if there is a downside to running them over standard spark plugs. Input?

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I just looked them and took a look at there website, seems like another scam type thing to me. and after reading there website, they say theres Plugs cause the fuel mix to start expanding sooner and faster. I would think if they really did that and you left the stock timing alone it would cause detonation.

For anyone thats interested heres a link to there website.

http://www.pulstarplug.com/

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Kind of iffey about something new like that. It does sound like an good idea. But I prefer to stick to top grade brands, so I run with Bosch.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I run OE Motorcraft plugs in everything I own. You can't go wrong with what the manufacturer has designed into your engine. I'd have to agree with Southern 3.0 as well. Early ignition will cause detonation and if it's bad enough a hole in a piston.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Beware of any aftermarket ignition product (Screamin Demon, MSD ignition boxes, spark plugs, etc.) that claim a power increase! A power increase isn't going to happen, unless you are getting misfires!

Stay with the Motorcraft OEM plugs (either double platinum, or fine wire platinum) and you will know you are getting the correct heat range plug for your Ford vehicle!

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Technically speaking, the principle is sound. What they describe is possible with the electronics they list.
Will it result in better performance? Will it clean up the emissions? Will it "make" better gas mileage? Will it hurt the engine in the long term? No one can know until we have real world use experience, not just lab tests or anecdotal quotes.
Is it the correct design for our trucks? Not likely. That is why they have their other product.
When was the last time you spent $100 (4cyl) to $200 (8 cyl) on the spark plugs for your vehicle? They are $24.95 each.
Worth it? Not for me, but others may have different ideas.

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Power can be increased by changes in the ignition. To blanket statement that it isn't going to happen is erroneous. Anyone with indepth knowledge of the Ottocycle engine will know this. Those with high performance engine experience know it very well.

On a stock system, the changes will not be as great as with a performance engine, but the mfgr of this product isn't claiming huge gains. Their product is a feasable idea. The larger the flame kernel, more fuel is ignited at the onset of combustion which results in a faster, cleaner, more complete burn. An added benefit is less initial ignition timing advance is needed.

This is what hapens on engines with dual plugs. Example is the 2.3L Ford dual plug. Two ignition fronts, fuel ignited quicker, lower emissions, a little more power, and slightly better economy. Will your butt dyno feel it? Maybe, maybe not, but that does not mean the gain is not there.

I don't know the cost of the plugs, and if the gains would offset the cost of the plugs, would be a consideration for me. I would like to try a set just for grins. shady

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Technically speaking, the principle is sound. What they describe is possible with the electronics they list.
Will it result in better performance? Will it clean up the emissions? Will it "make" better gas mileage? Will it hurt the engine in the long term? No one can know until we have real world use experience, not just lab tests or anecdotal quotes.
Is it the correct design for our trucks? Not likely. That is why they have their other product.
When was the last time you spent $100 (4cyl) to $200 (8 cyl) on the spark plugs for your vehicle? They are $24.95 each.
Worth it? Not for me, but others may have different ideas.
Sorry, the principle isn't sound! They make it sound like they are creating power for free.......total BS!!!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, the principle isn't sound! They make it sound like they are creating power for free.......total BS!!!
The principle is sound, at least the effects of the larger kernel is sound. I don't see the mfgr "making it sound like they are creating power for free." From what I gather, they are making better use, and improving on power that is already there, not creating anything. shady

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The principle is sound, at least the effects of the larger kernel is sound. I don't see the mfgr "making it sound like they are creating power for free." From what I gather, they are making better use, and improving on power that is already there, not creating anything. shady

BS .....all they are claiming is they are adding a capacitor which will discharge across the plug gap! What they don't tell you is the charging of the capacitor has to come from the coil, which will actually shunt the high voltage pulse from the coil.....again, total BS!!!

Explain "improving power"

svtranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'd like to know if they actually work. instead of claiming bs on it try it... i might try one on my lawn mower first, or on a old 4.0l ive got (its in a truck but the truck has a blown tranny and the engine has 200k ) so if the engine comes from together i've got no problem saying there product is b.s.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The described technical capabilities are within the parameters of the components. Upon further review, I would also question the longevity of those components in an enclosed heat bin. Capacitors tend to be heat and vibration intolerant without added stabilization in the package.
I say nothing about whether their claims are true. In fact, I question the veracity and accuracy of their claims. I also state that I do not think the gains (UP TO 9% claimed) are worth the cost ($24.95ea., msrp, per website) at this time.

These devices do not create power for free. These devices store incoming power to a certain device maximum level and, at a specific point, release it all at once. Think of a water barrier (gate or dam) suddenly releasing the entire body of water at once. That is the kind of surge (electrically speaking) these devices release.

Have you ever heard of CDI (capacitive discharge ignition)? That is what this is. These parts are using capacitive discharge on (and in) the plug itself, as well as in the coil. there is always a small amount of current attempting to jump the spark gap if the engine is running. That is what is stored. Up until this product, capacitive discharge has been used on the coil end only, with losses in the wire smoothing out and decreasing the spark.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The described technical capabilities are within the parameters of the components. Upon further review, I would also question the longevity of those components in an enclosed heat bin. Capacitors tend to be heat and vibration intolerant without added stabilization in the package.
I say nothing about whether their claims are true. In fact, I question the veracity and accuracy of their claims. I also state that I do not think the gains (UP TO 9% claimed) are worth the cost ($24.95ea., msrp, per website) at this time.

These devices do not create power for free. These devices store incoming power to a certain device maximum level and, at a specific point, release it all at once. Think of a water barrier (gate or dam) suddenly releasing the entire body of water at once. That is the kind of surge (electrically speaking) these devices release.

Have you ever heard of CDI (capacitive discharge ignition)? That is what this is. These parts are using capacitive discharge on (and in) the plug itself, as well as in the coil. there is always a small amount of current attempting to jump the spark gap if the engine is running. That is what is stored. Up until this product, capacitive discharge has been used on the coil end only, with losses in the wire smoothing out and decreasing the spark.

A CDI is completely different! A CDI discharges a cap across the coil primary, increasing the Di/Dt!! This was an advantage back in the days of points, to decrease the current through the points. Today, with electronic ignition, CDI is no longer needed, where the coil saturation current is very well controlled.

Have you every heard of a capacitor filter? This is exactly what putting a cap across a plug gap will do!!! And the series plug wire resistance (many K-ohms) will create a huge R-C time constant! The voltage to the plug will be
14V between coil discharge times......

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm glad you guys understand this, it's all going over my head, LOL!

It sounds like BS to me, how can igniting the fuel 'more better' make the fuel burn with more magnitude:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals