• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Mazda B4000 4.0 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Confusion

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I bought a new belt tensioner for my 94 Mazda B4000 4.0 and the one Rock Auto sent me is one of the types that only requires 1 bolt to mount it. The one on my engine is bolted on with 2 bolts. Does that mean I have to get a new one from the dealer? Never seen one that requires 2 bolts. Thanks gents. :sad:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There were two styles for the OHV 4.0. There was a job-1 through sometime around 93 or 94 and then there was another one to the end of production.

I ordered the wrong one when I was building my 4.0 because I had the wrong year and ordered the newer style one that needs two bolts. I still have it around somewhere too, just have to find it.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
There were two styles for the OHV 4.0. There was a job-1 through sometime around 93 or 94 and then there was another one to the end of production.

I ordered the wrong one when I was building my 4.0 because I had the wrong year and ordered the newer style one that needs two bolts. I still have it around somewhere too, just have to find it.
Thanks for the clarification. If you can find it how much you want for it? Should fit in a flat rate mailing box I'd think.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual

This one dude over on Ranger Forums said he thought the older ones were the 2 bolt ones. Said he thought the 90-93 models had the 2 bolt ones and that maybe I have one of the early model 94s? Said his 94 has the 1 bolt one.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Went ahead and bought one from the dealer. Did get a clarification on the different tensioners from them. For B4000s built between Jun, 03 and Jun, 04 it got the 2 bolt tensioner. ones built after Jun, 04 got the 1 bolt type. Thanks a lot Mazda! :icon_twisted:

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well I THOUGHT I got a clarification from the dealer on the tensioners. :icon_confused: The one that was SUPPOSED to be a 2 bolt tensioner was a 1 bolt one and they can't seem to figure it out. They want the casting number off of the tensioner itself and the truck is an hour and a half away.

Does anybody have a 94 B4000 or I'd assume the same year model Ranger that has the 4.0 with a belt tensioner that requires 2 bolts to bolt it on? If so, would you mind seeing if the casting number on it is visible without having to remove it? I can get to the truck this weekend but am hoping somebody has one and can save me the drive. Thanks guys.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Think I may have figured it out. Looked on eBay for a tensioner for a 93 Ford Ranger 4.0 and walla. It "LOOKS" like the one I need. Can anybody attest to that being the case? Guess I could always get one from a local parts store and if it doesn't work just take it back for a refund.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If I can find it I will post a pic before we figure on a price.

It's going to be a little bit before I can get to the garage though. Still have 30 yards of knee-deep snow between me and it.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If I can find it I will post a pic before we figure on a price.

It's going to be a little bit before I can get to the garage though. Still have 30 yards of knee-deep snow between me and it.
Wow! That's a bunch of snow! We got 6" or so here in western NC. I guess I probably ought to grab one at the parts store and drive out to where my son is before the one that's on it fails. It was pretty loose when I took it off. Don't want the brand new belt to get shredded. What do you think about my other post about the 93 Ranger 4.0 tensioner working? The picture of it looks just like the one I have. 2 bolt type.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It may well be the one you need.

I did a lot of figuring and research on these when I was rebuilding my 4.0 because I had no idea what it came out of. What we thought we figured out was 90-93.5 was the one-bolt style. 93.5+ was the two bolt.

Then today I saw a 97 Explorer with a one-bolt style tensioner on it.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
It may well be the one you need.

I did a lot of figuring and research on these when I was rebuilding my 4.0 because I had no idea what it came out of. What we thought we figured out was 90-93.5 was the one-bolt style. 93.5+ was the two bolt.

Then today I saw a 97 Explorer with a one-bolt style tensioner on it.
Went ahead a took the plunge and ordered it using a 30% off coupon for Advance Auto and got it for like $37. Its a Dayco which I've not heard good things about but its got a 1 year warranty so I guess if it lasts that long it ought to last. I just hope it fits. Going by the picture though it should. Will see this weekend. Hope the sun melts that snow for you quick! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Went ahead a took the plunge and ordered it using a 30% off coupon for Advance Auto and got it for like $37. Its a Dayco which I've not heard good things about but its got a 1 year warranty so I guess if it lasts that long it ought to last. I just hope it fits. Going by the picture though it should. Will see this weekend. Hope the sun melts that snow for you quick! :icon_thumby:
Into the 50s and rain the next few days. I will be up to my ears in mud by Saturday.

dwbaily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Into the 50s and rain the next few days. I will be up to my ears in mud by Saturday.
Not sure what's worse! Snow and freezing or rain and mud. :shok:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure what's worse! Snow and freezing or rain and mud. :shok:
Luckily I don't have to choose. It will be sub-freezing again by Monday.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals