• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Refinished 16" OEM Ranger 4x4 wheels on my '94 2wd

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bought these wheels off a guy who lives near me for $50 apiece.

Stripped and buffed them down to remove the corrosion, then painted the insides of the spokes black, then cleared over the wheels.

They are 16x7 factory 4x4 wheels off a '99 Ranger. Tires are 225/60-16 front and 235/60-16 rear.

Wheels fit great, they are inset about 1 cm as compared to the 14" originals. Nothing rubs or hits.

Still got more work to do to the truck, will post up when something changes.

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and the reason I chose the sizes I did was to keep the O.D. of the tires almost stock so as not to throw off my gearing/speedo and brake bias.

The fronts are 0.9% taller and the rears are 2.7% taller than the stock 225/70-14s.

Front to rear difference with the 4 new tires on is only 1.8% with the rears being 1/2" taller.

So at 100km/hr, I'm actually doing 102.7 which is not a big deal at all.

or 60 = 61.6 for you non-metric types.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow man, nice work! I really like how they came out. The black really accents the truck very nicely. How did you strip the clear off? i would love to do the same to mine. Very nicely done.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow man, nice work! I really like how they came out. The black really accents the truck very nicely. How did you strip the clear off? i would love to do the same to mine. Very nicely done.
Thanks. The holes in the wheels were painted silver from the factory with clearcoat over top. That was the hardest part to get cleaned off.

I used about 4 cans of aerosol aircraft stripper to remove the clearcoat. Got it from NAPA.

Then, I used a fine 3M disc in my Makita 1/2" drill to remove the corrosion and buff the wheels to a "brushed" finish.

The paint I used was Dupli-colour wheel paint, flat black for the holes, but when you clear over it, it of course becomes glossy.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

The clear is kinda tricky, I had a couple of runs in the first rim, luckily on the backside, but I got better very quickly after that!

I guess I forgot to get a closeup pic of one of the wheels, I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Last edited:

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nice work, looks great

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I forgot to get a closeup pic of one of the wheels, I'll try and do that tomorrow.
Here ya go, it was snowing, so that's why there's some junk in the pic, and that's not runs in the clearcoat at 6 O'clock, it's water:

Last edited:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Nice work. I am looking at maybe doing the same to some of the factory BII/Ranger wheels, but remembered a friend of mine that had a difficult time of getting the clearcoat off which kept me from doing it. When you say a "fine" 3M disk, are you speaking of the disk with the "Scotchbrite" type material?

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice work. I am looking at maybe doing the same to some of the factory BII/Ranger wheels, but remembered a friend of mine that had a difficult time of getting the clearcoat off which kept me from doing it. When you say a "fine" 3M disk, are you speaking of the disk with the "Scotchbrite" type material?
Yes, that's basically it. Looks like this:

The ones I used were "disposables" with a built-in arbor and no backing pad. Wear 'em out and chuck 'em. About 7 bucks each. One did all 4 wheels, but it was just about toast at the end.

But first, I removed the clearcoat with aerosol aircraft stripper.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
looks damn good. i want to refinish a set of wheels for my truck before i get new tires...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind doing that to both the B2 wheels and the Ranger's.

Only problem is, the body on the B2 is going to heck fast, it would look funny with nice wheels and a crappy body.

davidbeau

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I love the color dude. It looks great on your truck.

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"it would look funny with nice wheels and a crappy body"

That aptly describes half of the cars in New England.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: the black paint has chipped quite a bit from rocks, etc. :sad:

If I ever did this again on any vehicle, I'd spring the $$$ for powdercoating instead of the wheel paint in a rattle can.

I'm still running the same wheels, but swapped the 235/60-16s from the back onto the front, and put some 255/55-16s in the back instead.

Looks great with the staggered tire sizes. The fronts are 2.7% larger diameter than stock and the rears are 2.4% larger. Not enough for the speedo to be too whacked out, and it doesn't hurt the power very much either. With only 145 HP back in 1994, some of those horses have escaped the corral since then, I didn't want to raise the gearing too much.

GPS verifies it to be about 3% as far as I can eyeball while running at highways speeds.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Looks really nice! I always liked those rims, and with street tires they look really cool.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dusty thread alert!

i got bored of the factory explorer/ranger wheels, so i picked up a set of mustang cobra wheels, 16x8

just waiting on some 5mm spacers for the front, so the center caps dont hit on the hub grease caps. got some ET style lug nuts coming also to make up for the spacers.

will post up when i get the rims mounted, but honestly it probably wont be until early april when the snow is permanently gone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals