• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For the millionth time, will these Mustang Rims fit on my truck?...

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for having to do this, but I have been searching most of the day and have come up with some conflicting information.

I have a 1991 Ranger 2wd and would like to put some 2005 mustang rims(Wheel Part Number: 3792C) on it. From what I can tell I will need spacers, but have also read that I wont need any at all.

From what I can tell the backspacing would end up being around 5" since the stock mustang rim is 7" wide and the offset is 39mm. Looked on tirerack and they recommend 0 offset, so that means spacers to me.

I was hoping that someone has already done this so I dont end up with wheels that dont fit.

These are the wheels....

not the best looking but a great deal...if i dont have to spend a bundle on spacers.

Thanks....

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I havent ran those exact rims, but I'm pretty sure you will need spacers. The hubs on your '91 are huge compared to the 'stangs. I ran '94 Cobra, '99 Cobra, and '03-04 Cobra wheels on my '90. Only the older '94 Cobra wheels cleared the hubs without any mods or spacers.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
These are pretty similar if not the same as what you have.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42563
Yep that was one of the posts that I looked at, he mentioned spacers, but not specific size, or if they hit the hubs. Plus I dont know what differences there are between his year and my year for the hub sizes and backspacing. I can get those wheels for a a couple of twelves in a box with a good old school amp and some wiring for his mustang. All of which I have plenty of. I am an old installer with a ton of old school audio gear, home and auto. He's ready to do the deal, I just want to know what I am getting into before these end up in my possession.

I really dont care if they rub right now, just need them to bolt up solid, as the truck doesnt even run(waiting to drop a 302 in it, but need new shoes and dont want to keep the 14" stockers(for now at least), so these would just be to roll the thing around the shop(that I still have to build)...until I get the swap done. After that I may go back to the 14"s, with some custom wheels in back for wider tires...someday.

Thanks for the info, I IM'ed the guy from that post and asked what spacers he used, hopefully he is still around the boards and can chime in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plus I dont know what differences there are between his year and my year for the hub sizes and backspacing.
Should be the same as yours. :icon_thumby:

Sounds like they hit somewhere, you wouldn't machine the wheel because they rubbed on something

For some old radio equipment I would do it, if nothing else they should be worth a couple hundred bucks to resell.

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Should be the same as yours. :icon_thumby:

Sounds like they hit somewhere, you wouldn't machine the wheel because they rubbed on something

For some old radio equipment I would do it, if nothing else they should be worth a couple hundred bucks to resell.
Thanks for the info, I have pretty much made up my mind to get them even if just for resale. But right now the two rear tires on my ranger wont even hold air, and the front arent far behind. I would spend as much on new 14" tires as I would on these stang rims and newer tires(29000)miles. ...and I have WAAYYY to much stereo stuff. Plus I love to trade...

My dad bought the truck new and drove like a grandpa for the most part. Not really slow, but didnt hammer on it(four cylinder...why bother....lol) or slam on the brakes, hell I think he replaced the brakes on it ONCE, never replaced the clutch, and these could be the original tires on it now. Still have good tread, just really dry rotted. He just didnt drive it hard, of course I did some....but somehow he always knew when I did...lol. I think it has over 200k miles. My dad passed away three years ago, left me the ranger and my uncles 95 f150 4x4(over 400k miles on stock drive train). When I drove the ranger home(about 90 miles),I could tell the motor was struggling....when I got home and parked it, the engine just died...hasnt started since(kinda creepy huh?). I tinkered around to see if I could find the problem, then gave up and decided my dad's old truck needs a V8.

When he got the 91 he traded in his 83 ranger....same thing....wish I could of got it, but I already had a ride. The kid that got it tore the hell out of it, even rolled it but the truck kept on running. Last time I saw it, it was still on the road, new bed and fenders...but still running....sorry for the ramble....

Thanks again for the infomation...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Most likely ...

The rears will fit no problem.

The fronts will need about a 1/4" spacer and the center cap wont fit.

If you've got the stuff collecting dust, trade.

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Most likely ...

The rears will fit no problem.

The fronts will need about a 1/4" spacer and the center cap wont fit.

If you've got the stuff collecting dust, trade.
Thanks for the info....unfortunately the guy has another offer and is waiting for pics....hopefully I will prevail. Especially after all this. At least now I have a much better understanding of what will fit and what wont.

How come the center cap wont fit? does the bearing cap interfere? if so cant I just flatten it out some, or is it a complete no go?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you know the guy, why don't you just go over to his house with some wrenches and a jack and try it on for size?

i think you can get up to 1/2" washer style spacers btw...

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
if you know the guy, why don't you just go over to his house with some wrenches and a jack and try it on for size?

i think you can get up to 1/2" washer style spacers btw...
dont know him, plus we are pretty far apart and the ranger doesnt even run now....but good advice for sure.

on my way now to pick them up now.....

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Got them home and though the tread is a little less than advertised, the wheels are in great shape. I plan on changing tire sizes anyway. I'm too wore out and its too dark to test fit them. But I will definitely give it a go tomorrow(though the heat wave is supposed to come back to Missouri...ugh). Will keep this thread posted as to my findings....

Thanks again for the info....and I surprisingly really like the look with the tire set next to the truck.

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
.... ok so I couldnt help myself.....went down to the truck an put a mustang wheel up against the rear tires(had to jack the truck up some as the current wheels wouldnt even hold air). Sorry for the lousy crackberry pic...ill get some better ones tomorrow. And yes, there is plenty of cancer (rust) on the bed, and dents and dings everywhere....and that is how it will stay. I want a sleeper, even gonna keep the diamond plate tool box...it might hold some giggle juice and perhaps a wet meth system....someday....here's the best my phone could do in the dark.....

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Got the rears on no problem(though not hubcentric)....they do appear to need some more offest, but that will depend on what I have to with the front. The front is WAY off. The advice given was right on, the hubs wont even fit through the wheel. They leave about a 5/8" gap. I was able to get the wheel on with just a few threads per lugnut....no worries, did it to get measurements and mark the wheel with an imprint what it might need to be machined. And yeah, no way the spinner hub cover will fit stock. But I'll find a way to get it on there. It really only needs about 5\8" I am thinking 1" adapters(with their own lugs). I have used them before and didnt have a problem until I overtightened one and "warped" it. One inch is kinda thin, but this is serious aerospace quality material(hopefully). Since most sold on epay are at least one inch and sold in pairs I will likely get one to get the front bolted up properly, and will certainly find a way to get the spinner cap on.

Gotta admit, I like the look much better that I would like it this much. I will still go back to stock eventually....nothing beats original(except for that 302). Still deciding on going with an automatic(5-speed now), just for the ease of driving(wife cant drive a stick....have tried, and will still try, just need the right vehicle to tear the clutch up on....lol), or the hotrod purist in my is thinking of (1) the truck is stock 5-speed, and (2) She wont be able to drive it if its a stick...lol). kinda like my V10 dodge dually....for sale.... BTW(sorry if that is a rule infraction, but kinda part of my "story".....cest la vie...

Plus these wheels would look good on a factory 5 roadster if i make it that far.

Thanks to all for the great input...still woule like to hear from the guy that had the first gen with these wheels(but no spinners), and see what exactly he did. Would be much appreciated.

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So I guess these threads can be kinda useless without pics sooo.....

Front hub peaking out...uggh...hate adapters, but dont really have a choice here. I am thinking and inch, any thinner and I dont think they are safe...IMO....

Thanks again....still like the look alot more than I thought I would, think my dad woulda too. Especially for the price....lol. (less than $75 in gear....my cost at least...most were parts were leftovers from when I bought a package from someone to get something specific....take what I want, sell or trade the rest....love being poor...lol...now....lets see who has a STRONG 302 who wants to trade...lol.)

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, now SLAM that pig!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals