Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
notselrach

Vehicle Year: 98
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: 4X4 XLT
notselrach is on a distinguished road
Default Idle Problems 98 Ranger

The pattern is that the engine will go to a high idle when warm, 3200, and then will, after several seconds or so slow to about 1200, but never return to 800 or 900 as it is supposed. If this was an older Ford I would say that the "dashpot" needs to be replaced, but I don't know how the idle control is handled with this motor. Is it a vacuum leak? I replaced the auto hubs with manual because the originals were not working. Is there a possibility a vacuum leak there? Otherwise where might I look to find the culprit? The engine has only 115 thousand on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, BC
notselrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

Yes, the PVH could be your vacuum leak. That solenoid looks like it is near the passenger headlamp area.

Another common vacuum leak spot is the PCV elbow at the rear of the head/valve cover.

It is very easy to clean the IAC. It controls idle airflow.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Lack Thereof

Lack Thereof is on a distinguished road

Idle air control valve is most the most likely culprit - it's a small electric air valve that allows air to bypass the throttle body, usually bolted to the side of the throttle body. The computer controls it to adjust/stabilize the idle speed. Sounds like it's sticking open a bit. Almost all Ford engines develop IAC valve issues as they age - clean or replace the valve to rule it out as the problem before going on a labor intensive vacuum leak hunt.

Alternately, if your coolant temperature sensor is bad, the computer will never come out of warm-up mode, and will continue to command a fast idle. If this is the case you should also be seeing always-cold temperatures on the dashboard temp gauge. A defective thermostat overcooling the engine would have the same symptom.
Lack Thereof is offline   Reply With Quote