• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer hood hinges w/lift shocks on a ranger !

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
oh yeah they look nice ! just got my hood on and i am no longer "prop rodding" ... write up to come (with pics)

Last edited:

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
i searched for a "how to for this conversion, couldnt find one so i thought i would add one myself.. if you wanna go from this

to this

keep checking back as i sort out the pics

Last edited:

pyro4fun

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
small
Transmission
Manual
Sweet idea! You should definitely do a write up! :icon_cheers:

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thats great man! I have been hunting junkyards for them to do the same mod. If you write up a tutorial I am all over it. It should be just a direct swap correct?

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
its not what i would call a "direct" swap but it doesnt take much to do it, first thing i will mention is that you need TWO drivers side 95-00 explorer hinges, (make sure they are straight ! i bought a pair months back and when i started the swap i realized that one had been mangled at one time, so make sure they arent twisted up, the ranger hinges are the same side to side, the explorer hinges are unique side to side. you will need two LH (drivers side) explorer hinges. you also need a steady hand and a sawzall or an air cutoff tool (good idea to have both on hand) you will need access to a welder, a drill and drill bits, you will need access to a hardware store, or if you have a junk yard near by, hit the ford section and grab eight door hinge bolts and eight nuts and you will need a tube or two of silicone sealer (i chose black) i did my swap while the engine compartment was empty, no engine, no brake booster, no heater box, nothing in the way, but i dont think you would actually have to remove all this to do the swap if you have a sawzall with a long blade. first thing obviously is you have to remove the old ranger hinges, mine were each bolted on with two 8mm headed screws, im not sure what years but some have the hinges spot welded on, so drilling those spotwelds out may be a challenge with your booster and the heater box in the way

Last edited:

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
next step is to remove the cowl access panel (to the right of the LH hinge) with 7/32" or 5.5mm socket you will need a swivel for one, or if you are lazy like i am, just dont put the socket all the way on the extension.

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
enlarge the hole just enough that the explorer hinge fits in the opening. its a good idea to use a small hand file to dull down the sharp edges

Last edited:

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I guessing this would work for a first gen too

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just last night I was cursing the prop rod as I was trying to wrangle the DS cylinder head into place. :temper:

What year of Explorer are these out of?

Per the ol' faithful LMC catalog 83-03 used the same hinge.

You do seriously need to put this to the right format and submit it for the tech library, I don't know how many times this has been asked over the years and nothing as nice looking as this has ever came up. :icon_thumby:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/announcement.php?f=5

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
i used 2 gen (95-00) explorer hinges, im not sure if the 91-94 explorers had the gas support rods or not. im going to the junk yard tomorrow to pull some wiring i need for my project, i'll look and see what style hinge the 83-92 ranger uses but im guessing it is similar to the 93-current ranger hinge. my hood is the composite fiberglass from an '01 ranger edge, at first i was kinda worried that the composite hood wouldnt be strong enough to overcome the explorer shocks, but it is heavy enough that the shocks collapse just fine. the steel ranger hood is roughly the same weight as the explorer hood so you guys with the steel hoods shold have no problems at all, im not sure about the aluminum hoods, you guys may need lighter duty shocks.

Last edited:

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
the first gen ranger has a hood hinge that is spot welded on, but they look to be the same hinge as the '01 so im going to say yes, the first gen ranger guys (and B2 guys) can also benfit from the explorer hinge swap if they choose to, obviously rather than remove two bolts for each hinge, the spot welds would need to be drilled out. looks like there is more room around the hinge on the first gen ranger so it may even be easier to do. i have some wiring to sort out so i'll catch up on this later

Last edited:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Nice mod and writeup! Should be in the tech section!:icon_welder:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used 2 gen (95-00) explorer hinges, im not sure if the 91-94 explorers had the gas support rods or not.
The 91-94's used the prop rod, in the front.

LMC lists the same exact hinge from '83-03.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have wanted to do this swap! my prop rod has caused many a headache. Definitely should be submitted for the tech section when you finish.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
on my 94 they are factory spot welded also & yet I just checked today @ dealership & they list the same hood hinge for 93-2012 & @ $59 for a pair I think I will be shopping bone yard for the explorer set up. Whats the reason for needing 2 drivers side ,why cant I use both RH & LH hinges

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals