Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 4.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
etemplet

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
etemplet is on a distinguished road
Default 3.0L to 4.0L SOHC

I have a 2000 Explorer 4.0L SOHC I am considering putting in a 2000 Ranger (current engine 3.0L 296K miles) . The 4.0 is high mileage 243K. I'm gonna do a compression check on the engine, then I'm gonna do some serious marking of wires and picture taking as I remove everything and take parts off the vehicle. Now after that. I am gonna replace the timing chains and all that stuff in there. Depending on compression, I may go further. Initially, I was gonna just rebuild the engine completely.

We'll see. I might do a lil port matching, give the exhaust a lil breathing room....maybe. This is basically my Yard truck but I want to be able to just hop in and go where I want. Sorta...."Drive that ole Chrysler to Mexico boy !! Uhhh...Keep your hands on the wheel there !! Now ya got it !! ZZ TOP !!
LOL

How much of a pain are the perpherials going to be ?? I'm thinking I gotta change it all but I have a complete vehicle for swapping out parts. I'm gonna refresh the transmission as well.

Touchdowns everyone.
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Well, you need wiring, all accessories, the computer, and the transmission from the donor.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Violence might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
etemplet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Well, you need wiring, all accessories, the computer, and the transmission from the donor.
I read something about a rear end swap. I have not checked my gearing but I'm wondering if that will be necessary as well. This had me looking around for a Ranger with a 4.0L to purchase. Now....I'm to the point where I have time, and I'm not spending $7K for a decent Ranger that might just need what I'm doing anyway.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
JohnnyO
Moderator Emeritus

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Model: Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
JohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of used 4.0 SOHC's out there. Not worth the effort to swap a bunch of stuff over and make it work just to lose 50 hp.
"It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a general disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; but rather disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
etemplet

If I'm gonna spend money to rebuild and engine, I'd just as soon rebuild one that has better performance. I don't see a whole lot of work involved swapping the components. That was my question. What kind of can of worms am I opening by doing the swap? I read about people swapping 5.0l and they seem to be successful so... at least this engine came in the vehicles.

FWIW, I haven't come across a cheap Ranger with a 4.0L. $6K is a low price for a 4.0 Ranger with 125K miles on it (10 years old). I can't believe the price as a matter of fact. For the truck I would want, it would cost $8k to $12K and even that is about a 5 year old truck mileage up to 175K. I can spend $2K or $3K on this one, not even that much and get what I want. Plus, I get to upgrade stuff in the process if I want to. I'm all about keeping everything stock though. Getting it to breath a lil better is cool.

I thought about buying a newer model with everything I want but where do you stop. I don't want something I'm gonna have to work on to get in shape. This one will be when I am done. No rush, gonna be fun....or errr...interesting.