• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer 8.8 axle swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im eventually wanting to toss a locker and 4.88 gears into my ranger, and was thinking why not just buy an explorer 8.8 that i can build up, so when the time im ready to swap comes it will take a day at most.

had a few questions about the axle, and swap in general.

explorers are spring under right? so id need to address that, has the disc brakes already so thats not a concern, what about axle shafts, their 31 spline correct? is there a way to go higher? 34 or 35 spline?

Theres one listed locally for $80.
yes, $80.00 not a typo.
that seems like a killer price to me. It needs brakes, and id do a complete overhaul of it, but still.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
explorers are spring under right?
Yes

so id need to address that, has the disc brakes already so thats not a concern, what about axle shafts, their 31 spline correct?
Yes

is there a way to go higher? 34 or 35 spline?
I think you may be able to do 33 spline, but there's little reason to... The OE shafts are 1050 and broken ones are not common, even among the Jeepers who swap them under their rigs and run 35s & 37s on it (plus going to 33 spline I think requires you run a spool? not sure...).

I'd say just give it whatever it needs for brakes, redo the spring perches, stick your gears & locker in it and be done with it.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
You have an FX4 which should already have the 31 spline 8.8. The only thing you are missing is the disk brake setup.

In your position I would spend the $80 on a 7.5 or 8.8 from a ranger with your same gears and just swap that junker axle in while you build your current axle. Unless you really want the disk brakes. Youll spend less and then can just sell the junker axle you purchased to ride around on.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
True. Kinda wanted disk brakes though.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Disc brake swap on a lvl 2 package is a bolt on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals