• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

odd transmission problem

Kennethw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i have a 1995 ford ranger 4.0 v6 with manual 5 speed tranny and i recently blew the slave cylinder. no problem as it happened about 10 years ago. i replaced the slave cylinder, new hydraulic line and replaced the master cylinder even. all bled properly but the transmission seems stuck in gear and, although the shifter is in neutral, it wont shift into or out of any gear. right now the transfer case is not bolted up so when started the tail shaft spins just like its in gear. when not started you cant turn the shaft. when running and the clutch is depressed the shaft stops spinning.
the shifter just wont go into any gear and will move back and forth just like it should in neutral. i have read some other articles where there may be a stuck rod or something but i figured id ask some experts. is there a way to make sure it can get out of gear?. or should i just look for a new transmission to bolt in! i'm not without mechanical skills as i am able to pull the transmission out and replace everything but the actual inner workings of a transmission are like a female talking to me about shoes and accessorizing to match her outfit..... i just don't really understand it!

any help or insight will be greatly appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You didn't have the transmission in Neutral when you removed the shifter to drop the transmission.
You then put the shifter back in "like it was in neutral" so shift forks are locked.

Common issue, most of us have done this at least once.

Pull shifter back out, look down inside trans, you will see 3 shift fork rails, and the slot in each rail that the shifter should use.
Use a screw driver to slide each rail so slot is at the center, you may need to rock the truck to release pressure on the gears(turn output shaft), but BE CAREFUL, when slots are lined up you will be in neutral and truck can roll away.

If you look at the last picture here, you will see 2 of the 3 shift forks(slots) lined up: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.shtml

Last edited:

Kennethw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! i was hoping it was something like this and didnt need an entire new transmission.
i have all day off and will try to fix it

Ghaniba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a half hour -- did you fix it yet? :popcorn:

Kennethw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so that was very easy now that i knew what to look for. Thank you.
it was in first gear. the fork was towards passenger side and down toward the seat. literally looked in.... saw the one that was not lined up and with a screwdriver pried up and... CLICK!
now shifts like nothing happened. very very easy once you knew what to look for

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Xquzme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Great post.... I am currently trying to repair my 1999 Mazda B4000. Left my tranny in gear when I did a new rear main seal. Reason being the last time I did a Clutch I could not get the tranny back into the splines of the clutch until I place the tranny into gear. Now... I am having the issue with the tranny where it is stuck in third and feel like it is in neutral. Will not come out for the anything...

I am going to give this a try when I get home tonight.... Made my day:yahoo:

Last edited:

Xquzme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Worked perfect....:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals