• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What year Explorer best to swap 5.0 into 85 4x4 Ranger

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm wanting to drop a 5.0 into my dad's old truck, it's a 1985 2.8l v6 5 speed regular cab Ranger. I am looking to buy a 5.0 equipped Explorer as a donor vehicle for the swap, and I need an idea of what year Explorer would have all the right parts I will need. I want the 4wd to be in working order. I know it's not the greatest idea, but if it's possible I might mate the v8 to the original transmission for the sake of easierness. This is just going to be a drive it to work once in a while type thing, not slamming it through the rocks or anything like that. Any help would be very.. helpful.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Being a early model ranger like that, pretty much any year 5.0L Explorer would have about the same parts that you need. Just have to find one that had a 4wd transfer case instead of an AWD case, or you will have to source a transfer case from something else. Using your existing Ranger trans with the V8 would not be recommended.

96-97 non PATS Explorer (can't recall exact year range) would be your best option, since it doesn't require programming to get rid of the anti-thrift crap. 96-97 also have the standard GT-40 heads which are better for headers should you choose to run them.

Basically what you might be able to use from the Explorer is:
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Rear axle (it's a little wider than stock though)
EFI system if you can rewire it to work
Radiator if you feel like hacking your core support to fit

Other things you'll need to source:
Engine mounts
Radiator (94 Explorer 4.0L dual core works well)
Drive shafts
Fuel system (later EFI Ranger tank w/sender -or- in line EFI pump attached to existing tank)
Transmission controller (If you use 4R70W trans from Explorer and don't use the Explorer EFI system)

I'm sure that there more items to be added to both lists, but that's a starting point.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Avoiding the pats system is a good idea I didn't think about. I was looking to buy a 98+ model Explorer. It seems like all of the 5.0 models are AWD, I'm not sure if they even had a 4wd option. I'm pretty sure there were no 5 speed v8 Explorers either. Would it be a better choice to source from a Mustang or some other vehicle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals