• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no OD and trans fluid leaks

92dangaranga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 92 4.0 leaks trans fluid and always has since i bought it, and its never gone into over drive. i have been driving it in drive since purchased, burns a little more gas but gets from point a to b. my question is what could it be inside the trans causing it to do this. and this might sound stupid but i pulled the intake house off the tb and i swear there is trans fluid in there but my air filter is dry, where is it coming from. PLEASE HELP.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the tranny leaking? Pan or at the bell housing? If it is physically leaking it has to be a seal. As far as tranny fluid in the intake it is impossible as they are 2 completely separate systems, there is no link between the internals of th etranny and the internals of the motor other then the tranny cooler in the radiator and you would have water int he tranny or tranny fluid in the cooling system. What I suspect you are seeing is motor oil up in the intake.

92dangaranga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for helping. It is leaking where the trans meets the motor i believe. not to familiar with the whole technical terms and what everything is but it does loose trans fluid and it does not go into OD. And ofcourse a new one or "refurbished" one is close to 1800 dollars so ive just been driving as is and throwing fluid in every other day

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, not to put too fine a point on it; but, RockAuto lists a modulator valve for the 92 4.0, automatic transmission. And a modulator valve uses engine vacuum to operate.

So, of course, there is a connection between the engine intake and the transmission fluid. It is the vacuum line that connects the transmission modulator valve to the engine intake manifold.

And, to top it off the modulator valve controls the transmission shift points. And, if the modulator valve diaphragm fails the engine will suck transmission fluid into the engine and burn it. It will also get all over the insides of the intake.

So my best guess is that the modulator valve has failed and is dicking with the shift points and trans fluid is being sucked into the engine to boot. They cost less than 20 bucks and take about 10/15 minutes to install, https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1992,ranger,4.0l+v6,1137855,transmission-automatic,governor+/+modulator,8500

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals