• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help understanding timing

majoestic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
got a 86 ranger took the stock 2.8 busted head motor out and replaced it with the 2.9 never messed with timing took the 2.9 out of a running 88 bronco 2 now i have a manual for this motor only thing it really tells me how to do is check the TDC i turned the motor over with a wrench till the pointer was on TC checked number 1 piston it was at top and took disb cap off and button was on number one sparkplug so thats good. im guessing thats it is TDC'ed the pulley has numbers on it that has no marks on it but i can read the number when motor is off and cant with it running using timing light i have a marker to use but not sure where to put mark and where to stop it on the pointer dead on that mark or what im confused someone help me . where do i put this mark on the 10,12,20,40 ?? stop it directley on the pointer? as close as i can? does it have to be perfect or will i have to advance it or retard it a little if i can how do i do this

ronzukin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark it at the 10 degree indicator..I use a red or green paint marker to mark mine, bright finger nail polish will work also [just don't let the women find out tour using their polish, they tend to get angry lol..].
Don't forget to remove the spout when you time the engine....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals