• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Backyard Mechanics

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I gotta tell you a scary and ****ed up story that happened yesterday.

I got home from work and my cousin stopped by and asked me to come up to his house and look at his brakes. His buddy had just done pads and rotors the night before.

I go up there and jack it up, and you can pull the wheel in/out almost 2 INCHES :icon_surprised: on both sides.

I get the wheels off the front end and see there's metal shavings everywhere. The outer brake pad and the inner bearing was missing on both sides and the spindle nuts were just hand tightened. And the hubs were locked. There wasnt even grease on the inner RACE where the bearing was supposed to be. The seal was ruined on both sides needless to say.

We needed to go get all new bearings, races, seals, and pads again just bc some dumb shit wasnt man enough to say he couldnt do it right.

It kinda scared the shit outa me that there's pple out there that can do something like this. :shok:

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Wow - one of the many reasons I just like to try to do my own work. If *I* screw it up then I'm to blame. But seriously, brakes aren't that hard to understand. Just wow.

Glad you fixed it!

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
After I got my Ranger I felt a "thump" when I would hit the brakes...so I got the pads and went to change them...the previous owner has got the wrong set and put them on anyway so all that kept the pads from flying out was the little nubs on the back. This of course after he told me he hadn't "done a thing" to the truck and the pads was new enough that I knew the owner before him didn't put em on (his father in law who had bought it new).

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's the kind of shit I hate. Fixing stupid people's mistakes.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
You can't fix stupid..... I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I could teach my Fiance how to replace pads and rotors in one try..... How in the hell do you screw up that bad? Didn't think to put the bearing from the old rotors back on the new one's? But then why would you do the outers and not the inners? This makes me want to find that guy and give him a brain rattler (good smack to the back of the head) and just simply say don't be STUPID.....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can actually kinda see how that could happen. Two inexperienced bozos working on an old truck, I've seen the backs of those rotors look so nasty that if you didn't already know there was a bearing in there you wouldn't be able to tell.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Exactly......(and it's speeled s-t-u-p-i-e-d)

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
The stupid part is in going to someone you don't know to fix an issue. If you can't do it yourself (no shame in that) ask around. Go to a shop that has a great rep even if you have to pay more. It's only your life you are putting in their hands.

I know that I can do the basics up to minor work but if I want to try it myself I always have someone there that can back me up and catch my screw ups.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I can actually kinda see how that could happen. Two inexperienced bozos working on an old truck, I've seen the backs of those rotors look so nasty that if you didn't already know there was a bearing in there you wouldn't be able to tell.
Yea but wouldnt you realize that there should be a bearing back there when you can CLEARLY see the race? lol :annoyed:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I once knew a guy who thought the set of brake pads he bought was a "fits multiple vehicles" set and that the inboard pads were "spare parts".

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's only your life you are putting in their hands.
Not just yours but others around you too. They fail and you loose your brakes the person in the car(hopefully they are in one) you hit is in for a world of hurt too.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont have a book and your doing it yourself it is your fault if it is put back together wrong. Never just put it back together the way you took it apart unless the book says that is how it goes. If you dont know what your doing dont do it especially with brakes. It is not only your life that is at stake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals