• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 butter

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Used this before but decided to try it in my OHV 4.0 ranger the other day when I did my oil change. WOW, quieted the engine down quite a bit. It always had a slight tapping sound which they are known for, gone now! Thought I would share.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
I wouldnt use that stuff to grease my door hinges imo. My dad used oil treatment on his truck, had to replace a piston head (unrelated to oil treat.), and it was all gunked up in there. Just covers everything in a thick coat and hides the pinging, doesn't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7 using Crapatalk

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah you need to keep the engine clean

i use mystery oil for a few hundred miles to clean the engine out... then i change the oil.

i do use 'engine restore' every oil change... thats the only additive i use because it doesnt gunk up the motor and it makes a big difference as far as sound. i dont know what it does to the oil but ive been using it over 200,000 miles and the engine is still in great shape.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldnt use that stuff to grease my door hinges imo. My dad used oil treatment on his truck, had to replace a piston head (unrelated to oil treat.), and it was all gunked up in there. Just covers everything in a thick coat and hides the pinging, doesn't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7 using Crapatalk
Hmm...had slight pinging noise now it is gone. I'd say it fixed the noise, wasn't my intent to fix noise by using this stuff but it did it. I've had this bottle laying around the shop for a few yrs and I used to put it in my CanAm ATV gearbox to smooth out the shifting, worked great. Lots of good info on this stuff at "bob is the oil guy" forum. Schaeffer makes very high quality motor oils, similar to Amsoil, Redline, etc. so it isn't snake oil. Anyway like I said, just thought I would share is all.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
You put a band aid on your issue. Didn't fix anything. Your pushrods and rockers are more than likely galled to sh*t look it up. Very common issue on the 4.0. And for that matter your rocker shaft might be a little worn too, but definitely less likely.

Takes about 2-3 hours to do if you're good. I'd reccomend it unless you wanna clog up your oil passages, and spin some bearings. Or just listen to the noise.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Again, I didn't have an "issue" to begin with. Just wanted to share. The engine has 82,000 miles on it. Just sayin' the additive made a slight noise go away, nothing more nothing less. Why does everyone want to make a mountain out of a ant hill and argue and dispute this? It's not like I am selling anything. I can see if I put unfiltered bacon grease in the crankcase and proclaimed it was the best additive ever and tried to sell it as such then maybe yeah flame me, but come on fellas really...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is some legitimate science to using molybdenum additives, they do actually fill in uneven metal surfaces and reduce friction between parts, although most/all engine oil has moly content already.

Doing oil changes on time and using the correct type of oil is far more important that using mechanic-in-a-can treatments after the damage is already done. I have opened up some high mileage engines that were maintained correctly and they are always very clean inside... it's the neglected ones that are worn out and have a ton of sludge buildup!

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone has the right to their opinion. There are people on both sides of the fence for additives. I am a licensed diesel tech. I work on a customers mid 90's international triple 4 with over 1.5 million on the odometer. The guy has dumped a 4l jug of Lucas in the thing ever oil change for over a million of those miles. The head has never been off that engine. Lack of regular maintenance kills an engine, not an additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Used this before but decided to try it in my OHV 4.0 ranger the other day when I did my oil change. WOW, quieted the engine down quite a bit. It always had a slight tapping sound which they are known for, gone now! Thought I would share.
Don't let the naysayers get to you ,I've used both marvel mystery oil ,Lucas and STP for years and have never clogged up an engine or done any damage to any of them .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals