• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swing away tire mounts and liftgate question

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 1990 Bronco II and I discovered there is/has been some considerable damage around the latch where the swing away tire mount attaches to the liftgate. I removed the interior trim panel and found that it had been previously repaired with fiberglass...Is this a fiberglass liftgate? Is there a mod to beef up that area?

tel72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ll
Transmission
Manual
yes it is fiberglass and a common problem i have had two broncos and both had busted gates i am not aware of a mod for this i just patched mine good luck

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 1990 Bronco II and I discovered there is/has been some considerable damage around the latch where the swing away tire mount attaches to the liftgate. I removed the interior trim panel and found that it had been previously repaired with fiberglass...Is this a fiberglass liftgate? Is there a mod to beef up that area?
cut a strip of diamond plate tall anough to cover up all the mounting holes, and long enough to span all the way across the hatch(or could just do that one area), run some screws in it and voila

4th pic down
http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=91

more here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/252702/1987-ford-bronco-ii

mines cracked to, and i need to get the tire of my roof, its killn my mpgs, prolly gonna put the factory carrier on and do that mod with black diamond plate

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Basically the same as above. I used a piece of 1/8 inch metal and some 3 inch bolts. Its not to hard. Good Luck with it

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
so what did you mount the steel plate to? Did you just screw it into the fiberglass or reinforce the interior side as well?

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
cut a strip of diamond plate tall anough to cover up all the mounting holes, and long enough to span all the way across the hatch(or could just do that one area), run some screws in it and voila

4th pic down
http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=91

more here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/252702/1987-ford-bronco-ii

mines cracked to, and i need to get the tire of my roof, its killn my mpgs, prolly gonna put the factory carrier on and do that mod with black diamond plate
What did you mount the steel plate to? Did you just screw it into the fiberglass or reinforce the inside as well?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put the steel plate on the outside, drilled all the way thru, bolted to the inside of the fiberglass using washers. Its holding up well.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i havent done it yet, im still trying to get ahold of a carrier, but the guy in the pics used fat head rivets. but short self tapping or maybe wood screws would work good(since wood and fiberglass is somewhat similar)

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I put the steel plate on the outside, drilled all the way thru, bolted to the inside of the fiberglass using washers. Its holding up well.

Do you have pic of what it looks like?

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals