• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fw radius arm width & caster??

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So i'm getting started putting my 97 back together, got a 78 full size bronco for the axles.
First question is the width on the radius arms, With the stock radius arms and 78 radius arm mount, I am having to pull the arms in 2-3" or so to get them to go in. Is this commen with using these under a ranger?
Second, Caster angel. Like a idiot I forgot to measure what it was on it before I tore the front end out. What kind of number a I looking for here?
thanks in advance and since everyone like pics.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So made a little headway with this. I have got the rad arms pulled in and bolted in the brackets, But seem to be having problems with getting the axle squared. With the radius arms bolted in the bottom transmission cross member, the axle sees to be 1/8th to far one way. Does anyone know if the holes in transmission x member are not the same on both sides?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't have personal experience with this swap, nor have I looked into it much. I did tear out radius arms from a 88 f150 2wd and they were ~3" longer than my ranger arms.
I remember reading something [on TRS] with drawings explaining the ttb front suspension. IIRC there is a difference from one side to the other, but can't be sure about arm mounting. I'll look for the article.
Edit; couldn't find it. Hopefully someone else has an answer.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is why I used a '77 axle with weld on wedges. I had the same problem as you. But I simply cut my wedges off and moved them in on both sides.

I know most people don't care but it's a shame every time a d44 gets ripped out of a 78/79 Bronco.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I remember reading something [on TRS] with drawings explaining the ttb front suspension. IIRC there is a difference from one side to the other, but can't be sure about arm mounting. I'll look for the article.
Edit; couldn't find it. Hopefully someone else has an answer.
The difference is in the axle beam pivots (beam lengths). This isn't something that would come into play on a SAS since the pivots are removed.

1/8" is a pretty small amount, a slight difference in the bushings themselves could amount to that. I'd say maybe try a washer as a shim on one side if you're trying to get it squared.

And I agree, pulling the arms inward like that is probably not a great idea (this distorts the axle C-bushings in a way they weren't designed for). Maybe you can move the RA mounts outward that small amount (fab up new RA mounts, etc.).

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I found my 1/8th in the worn out bushings. Anyone got any pics of modded radius arm mounts?
Allso, very old debate, heims vs bushings? Thinking of buliding some long arms.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I had the same issue when I did mine. I bought a set of radius arm brackets for a mid 90's F150 from Ford and bolted them to my frame. The 79 FW axle and arms fit perfect. Eerie how well it fit.

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same issue when I did mine. I bought a set of radius arm brackets for a mid 90's F150 from Ford and bolted them to my frame. The 79 FW axle and arms fit perfect. Eerie how well it fit.

Do you have any pic's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a 76 front end and moved the mounts in too. I could show you pics, but it won't apply to your situation because your mounts are a cast part of the outer c knuckle and won't move easily like mine did. Fwiw, I think mine moved in 2 7/16. If I did it again I think I would go in 2 1/8 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals